Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iovemygarden

Bunched up clivias

iovemygarden
17 years ago

Hi I have a bunch of clivias all packed together. I am not sure if it is a good idea to leave them this way or should I divide the clump and plant them seperately. Right now they are planted as a clump. I am new to clivias so please advise. I have a picture but am not sure how to post. Thanks

Comments (28)

• dries
    17 years ago

The flowering will not be afected at all. I prefer a clump as it gives a much better show than individual plants.

• iovemygarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi thanks for your response. Do you think my clivias look healthy as some leaves are yellowing. Thanks

• akmo
    17 years ago

In my opinion, it looks healthy. Mine sometimes look that way when they've been outside for the summer. I think it might be sunburn? Occasionally a hungry insect or (ouch!!), a weed whacker that got too close (just the thought of that makes me wince) will leave some scars. But the plant doesn't seem to mind. Yours looks happy and normal to me.

• dries
    17 years ago

It is difficult to see the position your Clivia is planted. Is it in direct sun? The leaves does show typical markings of sunburn.

• coraltnt
    17 years ago

Hi - I helped someone divid a Clivia plant that is in a pot but the person was under the assumption that you can just ripe one plant with its fan leaves on both sides in half and divide the roots and have the two halves of the leaves be OK as two separate plants. Is this alright or is it totally the wrong way of dividing a Clivia. I've done it with this instructions but now I am really afraid the two halves will die since it is not logically to cut a plant with leaves together in half like that. Besides the obvious that the plant is lop-sided, I am also afraid there will not be flowers anymore since I had divide the center of one plant in half and that's where the flower comes up from? I never grow this plant so I have no clue how to do this correctly. Please give any advice you have. Thanks first.

• dries
    17 years ago

You should never split the crown of a Clivia. Clivias make offshoots which is a complete plant. That may be taken off the mother plant but preferably only once it have 6 to 8 leaves. To devide, you shake of all potting media. You will notice the rhizome which should have its own roots. Now you can cut the rhizome and pot it seperate.
    Is this clear enough?

• coraltnt
    17 years ago

Dries - thank you so much for your answer. Given what you said, I feel horrible that I didn't find this forum before I did what I did with the plant. My neighbor had a beautiful Clivia and I think I killed it now. The two halves will probably die in time...I'll wait and see. I'll definitely have to start looking into ordering another one for her at approximately the same size to make it up. I was able to divide the one baby 'pup' from the mother plant so I am hoping that pup will at least survive but since it will take so long before it will flower, I will definitely have to do something else for my neighbor. If anyone know a good source for buying adult size Clivias (an orange flower one with all dark green leaves), please post the site? Thanks again.

• dries
    17 years ago

What part of the USA do you stay? At this time of the year you should find Clivia at the box stores and garden centres?

• coraltnt
    17 years ago

Dries - I am in PA in the US and I can definitely try some local garden centers but I am not sure what box stores are? Are you referring to nurseries?

• dries
    17 years ago

Sorry!! I thought this was the normal slang word you use for Louws, Home Depot, Etc.??

• iovemygarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi thanks for all your answers my bunched up clivias bloomed and they are beautiful. Thanks

{{gwi:573296}}

• dries
    17 years ago

WOW!!!! Very nice!!!
    Thanks for sharing~~~

• rredbbeard
    17 years ago

You can find a lot of clivia on eBay too...

--Rick in CT

• craigr2006
    17 years ago

Hi,

A few quick notes on the above. The first plant looks sunburned to a small degree. I don't think the plant is harmed, though. As for splitting a plant in the middle, it isn't necessarily a death sentence. Not ideal, but sometimes two plants are so closely attached you have to go through the base. Dries and I can both attest to seeing plants rotted at the crown that then sprouted a dozen or more offshoots. You just never know with Clivias. They have a very strong will to survive, no matter how bad we neglect or torture them. Treat the wounds with an antifungal, use some dilute fertilizer solution, maybe grow it in a sandy mix and water maybe once a month or so to keep fungus from growing. You'll see in time. There are plenty of oranges available. Either through this site, local nursieries, the large home stores (Lowes etc), or even local clivia enthusiasts. There are several private Clivia growers in PA. Good luck.

Craig
    Sacramento, CA

• nixonk
    17 years ago

Coraltnt:

I don't know about PA but even if you do find a mature plant, be prepared to spend about $85 for a plant.

• watergal
    17 years ago

I've seen orange ones in bloom for around $40 or $50 here. Yellow and variegateds run into the three digits - yikes!

• coraltnt
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input about my splitting the clivia in half and also about where to get another one. I did find some nurseries in the area that sell them. However, to my AMAZEMENT, one of the halves that I split is actually sprouting a flower stalk with flower buds right from where the center used to be which is now the front of the one half!!!! I couldn't believe only after 3 weeks or so since I thought I killed the plant, there was a flower stalk. I'll wait to see if my neighbor will be lucky enough to see the flower actually bloom from this stalk. I am just in sheer shock and surprise...this plant is a miracle! If my neighbor allows, I'll try and get a picture to put in here for you all to see.

• launch6
    17 years ago

hey, coraltnt, congrats on the miracle flower! I thought for sure you had just killed a clivia, but maybe you lucked out. It's amazing what some plants can do. Not exactly on subject but to respond to nixonk and watergal, the garden center I work at is selling yellows with 3 to 5 crowns for about $125 in 5(?) gallon pots. Seems sinful to me but then I always want to share the beauty.

• coraltnt
    17 years ago

Hi All - I want to put a picture in here to show you all the clivia bloom but I don't know how to put a picture in here. Can someone please let me know?

Thanks.

• dries
    17 years ago

Coraltnt,
    Save the photos on something like www.photobucket.com.
    Copy the url address of the photo you wish to use.
    Then start a message here and on the position you wish to show the photo, paste the url address. When you submit the post, you will find that the photo is shown in stead of the url address.
    Hope this helps (and works for you).

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

{{gwi:573299}} Just wanted to share some orange and yellow regular Clivia blooms

• mmrivera1
    16 years ago

Where in the world do u live that ur clivia looks so beautiful in flower and that they are in the ground?
    Do u leave them in the ground all year?

• growlove
    16 years ago

So happy to find this thread. I have a 10 yr. old clivia that has filled the pot. Roots are coming out the top and it needs to be split. Do I pull the little ones to repot and repot the larger mother? When is it best done? I winter it over in a cool green house and set it outside in the pot in slightly shaded area for the summer. It usually blooms in Feb. but the blooms never come up out of the thick leaves. Appreciate your help. Mary

• craigr2006
    16 years ago

Hi,

To followup on a few things. I'm very excited the plant bloomed. A great example of how hardy Clivias are despite our abuses.

As for dividing large clumps, sometimes you just have to take a small axe and split the rhizome as best you can between plants. Sometimes you get offsets without roots. Dip in root tone and put these in sand or peat and keep it lightly moist with weak fertilizer solution for 2-3 months undisturbed. You will be amazed at the roots that develop from this previously "nonviable" appearing plant. Furthermore, that exposed rhizome oftens times becomes an offset factory in 2 years.

If you take the little offsets too early, it will take forever to bloom (3-5 years). If you let them get to at least 6-8 leaves, they will bloom in 1-2 years. The smaller ones also have a harder time surviving.

As for blooms stuck in the crown, keep the plant cool/cold (not freezing) as long as possible to allow the stalk to elongate. Also keep it dark (trashcan over it if large and outside) to make it "reach for the light," finally, some high strength potassium (0-0-30 I think) in theory can help elongate the stalk. The surest way to have a SHORT stalk is place the budding plant in a bright warm spot. Sometimes, we are jsut stuck with what mother nature gives us, though.

As for Clivia prices, I'm still amazed they are so expensive for basic plants. Our local big box stores (HD, Lowes, ...) sell "Golden Dragon" for $30 in 1 gallon in bloom. These are a very narrow petal yellow that sell for $15 on ebay. Our local higher end nurseries sell the Solomone yellow (broader petals, sometimes reflexed back, light yellow to dark yellow) Clivias for $35-40 in 1-2 gallon sizes. I can pick these up for about $20 each in either bud or early bloom if anyone is interested. Shipping from California to the east coast is about $10 for 1 plant, $15 for 2-3 (maybe 4) and about $20 for 4+ plants. Likewise, I can get some landscape peaches (not in bloom) in 10" pots for about $50-60, but shipping costs about $30 on something this large. Individual 10-14 leaf offsets from these pots can run $25-30 each, and also cost a lot less to ship. Finally, variegated oranges from Solomones nursery run about $60-75 in bud/bloom for 2 gal sizes.
    Here is a picture of Solomone' nursery to give you a feeling for the quantities of Clivias available, and why they really don't need to sell for $100 for basic plants.

[IMG]http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj154/Heronbayclivias/Solomone%20Clivias/SolomonesApr07.jpg[/IMG]

I wish you all good luck with your blooms in the next couple months.

Craig
    rugg1999@prodigy.net

• ddelany_aapt_net_au
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I'm delighted that I found your site before I murdered my beautiful orange Clivia. Can you tell me if I should cut off the old flower stem that flowered a few months ago and has several seed pods on it. Will these pods grow from seed.
    I look forward to your reply.
    Regards,
    Lynn

• retrogal sixties
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

oh I am bit late to this discussion. I received a mature clivia plant late last year. It was a huge plant but apparently the ex owner had it in the sun and several of the leaves were burnt and she had cut them off. The plant on the whole was also one sided so I thought I would split the individuals up and replant them again balancing them out ....

Unfortunately, the plant had some root rot as well and as much I as I could I removed those but in the process also cut off the last 3 inches of the healthy roots from the bottom thinking it would regenerate the plant. Now I read somewhere that the roots of Clivias shouldn't be disturbed.

I didn't water after replanting thinking it might help the roots to recover. Any advice or input if the plant will recover or have I killed it thoroughly :-( Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,
    Retrogal60s

• dianecarol48
    7 years ago

I have just divided a clinic and I have around 25 plants off it. They were in a I metre square for 20 or so years it was so very bound and took a lot of work to remove it. The colour is apricot a larger plant than the orange. Hopefully it will survive I have spread it around a tree and fence line, makes the garden sing! I also have the orange one.

Sponsored