Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ideas for childrens area?

Posted by westender z7 Atlanta GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 9:55

Our new community garden is starting to fill in; we have built 6 of our 12 raised beds and our membership quota is almost full. A couple of our members have babies and I had thought our children's area would probably consist of a sandbox or small play area for them. But now I am discovering that our garden might actually be a magnet for older children in the neighborhood, which is a delightful surprise. I've noticed children from ages about 6 up into their teens coming by repeatedly to look into the garden. Can anyone offer ideas or their experiences with children's areas and activities in your community garden? We have serious space limitations, but I want to fit something in to take advantage of any interest our neighborhood kids have in gardening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ideas for childrens area?

we made a small alice in wonderland garden, we got a cheap little gitl on a bench she was painting, put minture red roses by it.[ painting roses red]found an uprite rabbit, had lily of valley like in book etc.used a resin cat dish looked like chsire cat used it as bird feeder, took teapot big barrell and big tea cup n saucer from y sale , made a tea pot fountain, alittle much for your space but gives you an idea any nursery ryme or childs book can give you idea. kids loved it.

o

we are thinking of a sunflower house and a bean teepee - not sure on the size, but you could make as big or little maybe?

o

How about a musical corner with objects hanging from branches or a frame of some sort..things that blow in the wind like chimes or are 'played' by the children..hanging colourful containers/bottles, with different levels of water/sound etc? We have similar in our local nursery school.

o

remember to put in lots of fountains so the children can get wet. and dont forget the toys

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here