Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
food_4_me

city lot

food_4_me
20 years ago

I live in an apartment in Chicago on a residential block. There are a mix of houses and 3-6 flats. Well, there is one lot where a house had been torn down, and it has been unused for at least 6 years. The neighbors don't know who owns it. Me and another neighbor would like to plant a garden on it. I'm hoping that the only penalty would be possibly having my garden torn down without notice by the city. Could I get into any kind of trouble doing a garden on a vacant lot?

Comments (9)

• hoodrat
    20 years ago

I say plant it! They can't kill you for it. Others would probably appreciate it

• trisha_51
    20 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing about an empty space next to my apartment building in Carol Stream. Guess I need to contact the realtor listed on the for sale sign.

• food_4_me
    Original Author
    20 years ago

There's no sign on the lot near me. I'm guessing it belongs to the city since it is valuable real estate and just sitting there.

• KAYGARDENER
    20 years ago

HAVE YOU TRIED CONTACTING YOUR COUNTY TO SEE WHO IS THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY & IF THE TAXES ARE IN DEFAULT?
    THEN YOU CAN ASK YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPT IF THEY HAVE EVER HAD ANY METHAMPHETAMINE OR OTHER DRUG RAIDS ON THE PROPERTY. FORMER METH HOUSES NEED A SPECIAL HAZMAT TEAM TO CLEAN UP THE PROPERTY, AS WELL AS TESTING FOR LEAD,ARSENIC, ETC, BESIDES THE REGULAR SOIL TESTING (PH,
    N-P-K)...
    IT'S A LOT OF WORK, WHICH SEEMS TO BE WHY GROUPS OF GARDENERS GET TOGETHER TO SEEK NEW COMMUNITY GARDEN SITES... GOOD GROWING TO YOU, K.

• food_4_me
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well since I last posted, I have made some progress. We found out that it is owned by a private owner. We went to city hall and found the owner's name. However, it's a P.O. box, with no phone number. I am going to try the 5 simmilar names in the phone book, and my friend is writing a letter to him at his p.o. box. We'll see what he says. We found out that he can be fined for not keeping up the lot. It's overgrown with little trees and weeds, and small amount of trash. We're hoping he'll be agreeable. My friend also hooked us up with a garden association in our area, and some sort of organization that helps people create community gardens. We may be able to get some free supplies from them. Besides this, we are having the soil tested - for free.
    It does look like it's going to be some work. It will also cost some money, especially in soil. The soil that is there now is very rocky. We were going to plant flowers directly in the soil, and edibles in raised beds.

• tart
    20 years ago

Where in Chicago, if you don't mind me asking? My husband and a friend and I are hoping to get a smallish (5' x 24') plot on the northside, by Senn High School. It's put together by Chicago Parks, free, and fairly convenient to us. Unfortunately, there aren't many spaces, and we may be beaten to the punch - it looks like it fills up fast every year. If you're looking for an extra few pairs of hands, let me know. Come to think of it, there's a little abandoned yard just down the street... Now you've got me thinking! Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

• food_4_me
    Original Author
    20 years ago

hehe
    I had tried to get into a community garden near me and couldn't get in - which was part of what lead me to considering finding a lot on my own. I'm in Bucktown/Wicker Park. This lot is not ideal for gardening however. It's become a haven to stray cats! The soil is very rocky, and there's little trees all over it. The lighting is east/west, with buildings on north/south. I will keep you informed though at our progress. If all is a go, and you're still interested, then I think it would be fine. There's more space than either of us is going to use.

• premscape
    20 years ago

Plant it.

Notify your district or common council member if you can. Simply let them know what you are doing - don't ask - tell them! They WORK FOR YOU. You are thier employer. You provide them with a paycheck. They must answer to you.

If anyone threatens anything - and I doubt they will because you are doing them a favor - simply tell them to wait a few minutes while call your local news channel! The media love a story like that. It's like me catching someone in the mall trying to abuse a child and I, along with other witnesses, lay a whoopin on that person: no jury will convict us of a crime!

We are contracted to develop a number of sustainable vacant lots in the city of Buffalo - although our development projects or more community functional, trees, perennials, wildflowers, sitting areas, etc.. and not vegetable gardens - and the neighborhoods and business owners are literally sometimes in tears of joy with what they see happening. No one in thier right mind would criticize you trying to grow a vegetable garden while improving the community.
    Although, there is always the problem with a litigious-happy society that wants to get some easy money from the government. That obstacle is always there.

• nifka
    20 years ago

hey premscape!

i just moved to buffalo and tried to find a community garden where i could rent a plot for the summer, but there is none! ive since gotten involved with the growing green program at the massachusetts ave. project, which is full of great people! i also looked into the grassroots of buffalo group.

are you aware of any plots that are available to buffalo gardeners to grow their veggies? or any other community action groups that have to do with gardening? you said you (we) are contracted to develop green spaces throughout the city. would you need helpers? i am interested in getting even more involved with the community of buffalo as a whole as well as enhancing people's consciousness and pride in their neighborhoods via gardens and edible landscaping, urban farming and the like. my email is dakotahmoon@yahoo.com, it would be great just to hear from you and what youre up to, and even greater if i could help out in any way!

cheers, nifka (jennifer)