Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ethnic Community Garden-Any Input?

Posted by ginger_nh z4 NH (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 02 at 11:30

I am considering presenting the idea of an ethnic community garden to my fellow master gardeners as a possible project for this coming season. We live in an area of NH that has traditionally been almost exclusively white New Englanders, some Native Americans, and a handful of Afro-Americans. Our ethnic group was French-Canadians! Over the past 7-8 years we have had an influx of immigrants and refugees--we now have many Vietnamese, Thai, Bosnians, Croats, Somalians, Sudanese, and Russians. Our police chief has started a diversity task force dedicated to watchdogging any discrimination and making the new people feel welcome.

I am thinking that a community garden with areas dedicated to the crops grown by the different groups (e.g., Balkans area, Somalia area, Vietnamese area, New England area, etc.), with the plants labeled, tended by the new arrivals, Master Gardeners, high school ag students, etc., would be a good way for the community to embrace our new members and get to know each other. Education could go on there as well, 4-H groups, school groups. . .

Anyone have experience with this?

Ginger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ethnic Community Garden-Any Input?

With such a wonderful mixture of peoples I think part of your job will become redundant pretty early as in having to organise their plantings of native crops, it'll probably just happen as a matter of course. Me thinks p'raps all you'll have to organise is the mixture of cultures when allotting the plots. I wonder if it would make for more interaction between the gardeners not to have different sections for different ethnic groups, rather allocate by a draw or something.

What a wonderful idea, there's a different 'air' to people who get down to the soil and I daresay that all of us lose the cares of the world whether we're tending a pot or a plot. Best wishes for your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: COGS

o

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I do not have any experience, but at the New York Botanical Garden,Bronx NY there is a Global Garden in the Ruth Rea Howell Family Garden. Volunteers from the neighboring community maintain plots filled with plants from their native countries. Possibly, they may be able provide you with some info & guidance. The address is New York Botanical Garden, Bronx River Parkway @ Fordham Rd., Bronx NY 10458. The phone number for the Family Garden Manager is 718-817-8126. Good luck in your endeavors.

o

HAVE LAND & THEY WILL PLANT-- A SINCERE INTEREST IN WHAT DIFFERENT GROUPS GROW AS THEIR GARDENING HERITAGES WILL DO WONDERS-- IN VARIOUS COMMUNITY GARDENS, WE HAD PEOPLE FROM INDIA, CANADIAN POLISH, VIETNAMESE, HMONG, PERSIAN, SW AMERICAN INDIAN,KOREAN, FRENCH, GERMAN, ETC...I PICKED UP A LOT OF NEW IDEAS-- SEED CATALOGS W/ PICTURES HELPED TO BRIDGE THE LANGUAGE BARRIERS...GOOD GARDENING TO YOU!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here