Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
church community garden

Posted by rbig (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 08 at 13:26

Our church is starting toward a community garden. We'll have a 150'x75' plot. Our garden is going to go in a big lawn.

We know we should either push off the grass or we'll be doing weeding later.

However, I'm wondering if there might be some kind of grass poison which will not effect anything except the grass we could use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: church community garden

We have had good luck using Round-up. We spray, wait a week, spray again, wait a week, plow (till) and then spray again. There is always weeding to do, less after the garden has been established a season or two, but Round-up is effective on killing out grasses. Be sure to follow the instructions on the container!

o

Have you considered a raised bed? You can simply layer wet newspapers on top of the grass, throw in grass cuttings, wet them down, a mix of dirt/compost/peatmoss and start gardening. I've done this for years without problem. I would also recommend removing the grass a good width of your hand around the base for ease of mowing the grass and keeping the grass from creeping under the beds.
I don't like chemicals in the garden.

o

The raised bed is a very good idea. And I am thinking that a lot of folk who got to church are also respectful of Creation and would object to the use of Round Up in principle. That is how I find fellow believers to be myself. There must be a non toxic way to do it.
If it is a big enough church or has enough strong able bodied people then the labor to prepare the area should be quite manageable whatever you choose. Just please don't use ROUND UP!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here