Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

'Esperanza' is Lost...

weedlady
24 years ago

Just saw yesterday's NY Times today; checked the website, and it costs $2.50 to access the article in the archives. I will type in some excerpts from it, but here is the site if anyone is interested in the complete text. (I read it in our library.)

http://archives.nytimes.com/archives/search/fastweb?search

Looks like even Bette Midler can do nothing now...Shades of my own little garden, and poor Traute's, and who knows how many others across this continent...

Yesterday, as the city was sending bulldozers and the police to clear out the tiny community garden known as Esperanza [Hope] Garden, the state attorney general was sending lawyers to court to try to stop them, and dozens of protesters were chaining themselves to cement blocks they had buried in the garden months ago to prepare for just this moment....

Before a judge could weigh in on the merits of the state's case, the city acted. The police waded into the demonstration, arresting 31 people and scattering dozens of others. A work crew with a bulldozer, backhoe, and chain saws then set to destroying all traces of the garden which had been in existence since 1977.

Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, who hopes to sell the lot to ...a developer, says this lot and hundreds like it can be used to ease a housing shortage.

"If you live in an unrealistic world then you can say everything should be a community garden," Mr. Giuliani said. "Then where would people live where they are able to get affordable housing?"...

"The fact of matter is that this is a determination the courts should make," Mr. Spitzer [Attorney General Eliot L. Spitzer] said. "This is an unfortunate display of the mayor preventing the judicial process from operating."

The timing of yesterday's action left some of the gardeners and sympathizers bewildered.

"It wreaks havoc on the conscience," said Joel Kupferman, a staff lawyer for the New York Environmental Law and Justice Project. "I am crestfallen."

The last of the protesters was removed by 11:30. The court did not finish hearing the state's motion until early afternoon, at which time Justice Richard D. Huttner of State Supreme Court in Brooklyn blocked the city from moving against 174 other lots until the court meets again next month. Lawyers in the case said the judge separated Esperanza Garden from his ruling because it is the subject of a separate proceeding, filed by the neighborhood, that has been rejected by the courts and is now under appeal.

The legal distinction mattered little. By the time the order was issued, Esperanza Garden was no more.

"It's incredible to me," said Ariane Burgess. "It took 22 years to create this beautiful space, and they completely destroyed it in a couple of hours."

There is also a photograph of the pile of earth and debris left after the bulldozers and steam shovels had finished with it.

Although my 2500 square foot garden was only 6 years in the making, when the school we had lived at bulldozed it without warning, that act left...

Comments (6)

• Monte
    24 years ago

Another example of this kind of thing is what happened to a fellow named Adam Purple. He spent many years creating a magnificent artistic oasis in the middle of Mannhatten's Lower East Side. Truly one of the most magnificent parks in the city at the time. I've linked his story and a photo of the gardens below. National Geographic did an article on him years ago if you have access to the back issues.

Photo of "The Garden of Eden"

Here is a link that might be useful: Adam Purples Last Stand

• mazer415
    24 years ago

I would like to see how much "affordable housing" actually goes up. Sorry to see the results of yet another greedy system

• Bill
    24 years ago

It is now apparent that Giuliani and the police are implementing "quality of life" programs for gentrification and wealthy developers. The "quality of life" issues for the poor are not on the menue. In fact, they are just a nuisance population - in the way of "progress" toward "economic revival" for the tourist and convention trade.

It is disgusting. The "City Planners" have so little idea of the meaning of "quality of life" that they bull-doze right over it.

Get political!

• Ellen
    24 years ago

The developer who is going to build the housing on the site of Esperanza is a big contributor to Guiliani's campaign as I understand. Also it will not be "affordable" housing, but market value -- you know what that means in NYC, where rents of $2,400 per month are the norm!

There are acres and acres of derelict housing buildings that could be torn down (or fixed up) to build much-needed housing in NY. The stupid thing is that community gardens *add* so much to the value of a neighborhood. It is the old slash and burn mentality. You should see the abominiation -- strip-mall style neon-lighted monstrosity (a P.C. Richards store) that went up on the site of a former community garden on Atlantic Avenue and Fourth in downtown Brooklyn. This is a stone's throw from the Brooklyn Academy of Music, which British music critic Andrew Porter called the most beautiful performance space in the entire world. (Enrico Caruso sang his last performance there).

(Mayor Giuliani also restored the patronage system to judicial appointments, dismantling one of Mayor Koch's most solid reforms. The harm that he has done to the city is incalculable and will probably be permanent.)

• Michael
    23 years ago

I'm so sorry for New Yorkers loosing their CG's. I've been reading a lot about this problem in New York. just finished reading Avant Gardener. The only thing I can say is. I'd like to extend To New Yorkers a welcome to come to Chicago the cow town. We have a new orginazation called Neighbor Space that secures garden sites permanenntly as gardens for ever. Also, no waiting lists. You could even start one up from scratch around here. I know this would be an impossibilty for many.
    So, do the next best thing and get GIULIANI out! Make sure the whole country knows about this. Then, once that done. Lets Make The Comunity Garden National registry. Just like National Parks! For ever, are you on?

• Pat
    23 years ago

I wonder what God thinks about what we are all doing to His garden. The Hopi Indians believe that it was greed that destroyed the last 3 worlds, and greed that will destroy this one. Enough said.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville