Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_8

How to recruit CG volunteers

Dave - 8
24 years ago

We have 16 plots approximately 20x25 and need some advice on recruiting volunteer gardeners to commit to at least one season. We are not charging and the garden is in a low income area. I would like to see local residents, church groups, elderly, or economically and physically challenged people volunteer for the plots. From your past experiences, how have you recruited volunteers for your gardens? A lack of community involvement is the top reason for CG failure, so I read. I want ours to be successful! We have a beautiful site and city funding, but lack gardeners. Please help!

David Renninger

Comments (5)

• jon
    24 years ago

Where are you located? We have a three year waiting list at our CG in Seattle. How big are the plots? How about putting up notices and running an ad indicating "Applications are being accepted for new community garden at... Deadline for applications is such-and-such date? Get your local newspaper to do a story on the garden development. Get yourself on a local radio program, etc. Creating demand for garden spaces should be an easy thing to do. I can't imagine gardening plots going wanting.

• Sean Phelan - WA-8/Seattle
    24 years ago

We have the same problem(s) in a low income area of Seattle and we've been here since '86. I am acting as an interim site coordinator at another low-income area garden w/ same issues because of just this.Its endemic to poor communities. They're not used to getting/demanding bennies from gov't as more privileged citizens are, they have less access to and knowledge of existing programs, many are running to stand still- finding out about a garden, let alone maintaining one, is a major undertaking.
    We are trying a number of strategies. Working with groups in our community that already serve our "target market", food stamp/ welfare offices & food shelves/pantries/banks are good for postings, get your outreach translated into the languages spoken in these communities (I have been fighting this battle for 6+ months, but it's worthy of the struggle), use the churches and pitch it as a community resource and budget stretcher, go to housing project resident meetings...
    Beyond this, be sure to effectively orientate your gardeners so that they can succeed- a handbook helps. Word wil spread on the grapevine. And maintain an attractive appearance, particularly on your periphery. These neighborhoods put a lot of stock in how you present yourself. Nothing succeeds like success.
    For publicity, have a tree planting ceremony w/ a group of neighborhood kids ( service group? day care?) and any politicos you can rope in "good news from the bad part of town" is often an irressistable lure to both media and elected reps. Cultivate a relationship with the small, neighborhood papers. Get a plot for a daycare or senior center and oversee it as an educational tool- mentor them every step of the way.
    And ask them! Your targetted groups know better than anyone else what would attract them- open up the process, go TO them. They'll fill you in.
    This is a long term proess. If less than full capacity, turn these beds into food bank/shelf/pantry beds and spread that news. Keep trying, shift

• Sean Phelan - WA-8/Seattle
    24 years ago

Keep trying, shift methods as needed, always seek
    new/more input. It can be done.
    You just gotta be relentless.
    Sean
    PS Feel free to e-mail me if like.

• Eric Luther
    23 years ago

I've taken over four good sized gardens run by a community center in a low income, very ethnically diverse neighborhood. The gardens have been struggling for three years to varying degrees, one of the more successful gardens(the smallest of the four) was planted with about 4 crops as one big garden, without any individual plots, the neighbors particatpated in the planting a tending as they wer able. I am considering using the same approach for the others, I'm hoping this will take some of responsibity/work out and more fun in gardens. What do you think of this, will it work or is it better to keep indivual plots, even if alot aren't occupied?

• Michael - Chicago
    23 years ago

Recruiting is hard work. Especially when the economy is doing well. I've been CGing off and on for twenty years. I've seen many nice CG go to developers. No one wants to build on an empty lot until you put in a garden. People are more likly to invest time and energy if the land has been secured permanently. A garden space for ever! Also, a lot of people who are attracted to city life are running away from farm work. It helps to set an examples by the flowers you plant in hopes that they too will add greenery to their own homes if they are not going to the CG. I've seen this happen many times. they don't participate at the CG, but they start to compete with the CG by planting in their own yards. I think thats great! New comers to the area are more likly to help out. Planting gardeners by introducing small children to gardening will cetainly help for the future. In less time than a walnut tree bares fruit you'll have some young help to do some heavy schoveling! Good luck.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia