Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_gw

Second year community garden

Elaine
23 years ago

Since Emeril is not here to "kick it up a notch" I'll hope a new post will get things going in this forum.

Last year. a local church started a community garden project in the almost -city in our area. Their committee did lots of research before calling in any other people; they visited well-established projects and talked with the coordinators. The local branch of the state university agreed to use of a large field on its property. That was fine for folks with cars, but something was needed in town for walkers. The not-for-profit agency I work for has a large backyard that became the 'in-town" site, so suddenly I was on the committee!

Our first big project was to get large rocks dug out . Most of them succumbed to shovel power, but the refrigerator sized ones needed a backhoe.(They don't call this rocky Connecticut for nothing!) Someone knew someone to ask and we got the boulders moved for free.

That's pretty much how it's been with everything, from tilling to donations of tools, mulch, seeds and manpower. Yay, Community!

The local media were very co-operative and enthusiastic and we almost filled all the plots even tho starting late(May) My main contribution was to encourage first timers to try gardening. Some folks from our agency had such a great experience they're taking a whole plot ,instead of just half, this year.

So now there's a waiting list and we are looking for more intown land! If there was a downside to all this for me, it would have to be that I could not spend as much time in the garden as I wished. Drat having to have a job, anyway!

Community gardens are a Good Thing. Try it, you'll like it! I'll be happy to share more of our experience if anyone has questions! ~ :-)

Comments (2)