Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaaaaaaa_gw

Plot choice in community gardening.

aaaaaaaa
14 years ago

Hi,

I may be getting plot in my community for gardening. My questions are

1. What should I be expecting? (regarding neighbor gardeners, watering Âanything)

2. Will I have a choice to select plot?

Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Anna

Comments (2)

• didzgarden
    14 years ago

Hey Anna!

This forum is awfully slow. But I had similar questions myself. We just got our plot, (a friend of mine and I are sharing it) paid for it, and are waiting for the 'go ahead'.

Where I am. (Ontario) My plot is 20x20, and I 'sort of' had a choice of location. There are 21 gardens in my city. A lot of them were booked full with waiting lists. But a few - luckily one close to my home - had open spots. You have your choice of plot location if there's more than one to choose from. We got a nice sunny patch right at the front, so we're quite happy with that.

For our garden, there's a couple of huge rain barrels. And you're only allowed to garden organically. So no chemicals. I think the neighbours sort of depend on where you get the plot. The volunteer I talked to was telling me about the 'reputations' of some of the locations. Might be worth looking into, if you can find someone willing to be candid about it. My friend and I are gardening for fun. And he warned me of one location where they were very much 'activists'. Not that they were bad or anything.. just that they had a lot of opinions. *Grins*

Suggestions? If you're doing vegetables. Look up some information on 'companion planting'. As we're growing organically, there's lots of great information about plants that help each other out.

I'm new to this myself, so that's pretty much all I've got. I have no idea how we're going to fill that huge bed. But it's going to be fun to try!

So what are you growing? I'm curious to hear Community Garden Plans.

Didz

• aaaaaaaa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your response Didz. I am in New Jersey. I did get a plot little bigger than 10 x 20, I could extend my plot little big because I am at the very end of the gardens so made it approx 20 x 20. So far fellow gardeners seems to be ok. This is just the beginning. I did have choice, there were quite a spots open when I went to city. I am not sure why I choose the end unit out off all!! I have to walk quit a distance from the parking lot to my plot crossing almost all other plots--interesting I can see others patch while walking!
    Soil is all tilled by the city of course, and looks good.

Now what I am growing.
    1. Peas
    2. Turnips
    3. Beans
    4. Carrots
    5. Radish
    6. Beetroots
    7. Onions
    8. Spinach
    9. Eggplants (three different varieties)

1. Tomatoes (3 different varieties)
    2. Red Bell peppers
    3. Green Bell peppers
    4. Peppers
    5. Snake gourd
    6. Cucumbers (3 different varieties)
    7. Okra
    8. Peanuts(hopefully)
    9. Amaranths (two to three varieties)
    10. Roselle
    11. Pigeon Peas
    12. Bitter Melon