Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plainjane40

Survey: plot size, # of plots, rules & regs., etc.

plainjane40
20 years ago

This is a great place to find out what other community gardens are doing. If y'all could answer a few questions, I think we'll all learn from each other.

City/location of your community garden:

How many plots/gardeners:

Average plot size:

Rental term and amount:

Maintenance rules (weeding etc.):

Volunteer work required?

Amenities (tools, greenhouse, etc.):

I garden at Sunshine Communitiy Gardens in Austin TX. We have about 250 plots and approx. 200 gardeners. Most plots are 20 x 20 feet. There are a few half-plots. Regular plots rent for $90 per year. Each gardener is supposed to keep their plot planted and weeded and take care of the walkways around their spot.

Each gardener volunteers 6 hours per year to maintain the common areas and/or administrative duties. Garden tools are available for use.

Comments (5)

• Tikanas2
    20 years ago

Hi!

I garden at the community garden in Sierra Madre in So. Cal. We have 14 plots, some are 1/2 plots. Plot sizes are 14'x32'. We are each in charge of maintaining our own plots. Ours is a revitalized garden, having been over grown/ unmaintained for years so some of the rules are still being ironed out such as volunteerism etc. Cost is $20.00 per quarter. We share a common tool shed but we each have our own tools.We keeep our shed and the gate to the garden locked. We are planning gardening/ composting/ vermiculture workshops to be held on a regular basis.
    I have built five 4'x12' raised beds. My beds are surrounded by fencing on 2 sides which eliminates the need for trellising for heavy vegetables! I am working on ideas for some sort of "different" supports for the many tomatoes that are almost ready to go in.(I hate those flimsy cages!)I welcome any ideas!

Tikanas

• wildpotato
    20 years ago

I volunteer at the Hayward Community Gardens in Hayward, California, although I don't have a plot there. The main site is 7 acres underneath PG&E electrical towers. The Gardens are entirely volunteer run, with money from a community development block grant and plot fees. Most of the money is spent on water bills.

We have over 200 plots and over 100 gardeners. Most gardeners have 2 plots, but some have as many as 6. Plots are about 300 square feet.

Yearly rental is $25-$100 sliding scale based on income and whether the member lives in the Gardens area.

Gardeners are required to keep their plots clean and planted, and plots are checked at the yearly registration time. Volunteer work is technically required, but the requirement is not enforced. A couple of people do most of the work.

Amenities include a greenhouse, rototiller, tools, soil amendments, seedlings, irrigation supplies, and bees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hayward Community Gardens

• plainjane40
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Tikanas,

Where I live, lots of people use that concrete reinforcement mesh and shape it into cylinders for tomatoes. These cages end up being about 5 feet tall and 18 to 30 inches in diameter. The mesh "squares" are plenty large enough to reach in for picking and pruning. I'm sure you can find it at Home Depot or wherever.

• Tikanas2
    20 years ago

Thanks, Plainjane.
    I have made those before actually. Was hoping to try something else in these new raised beds. Maybe the CRW stretched across metal fence posts. Or maybe the technique called "the Florida weave". I'd better decide soon!

Tikanas

• Carrie B
    20 years ago

Our by-laws have been revised since the version linked below, but it will give you an idea of what we do.

Now, to answer your questions:

City/location of your community garden:

Philadelphia, PA - in a pretty urban neighborhood.

How many plots/gardeners:

About 60 plots. Some are individually cared for, others are cared for by couples, families, or a shared by a couple friends.

Average plot size:

Mine is about 6'x19'. It is one of the smaller plots, some are almost twice as large.

Rental term and amount:

$10/yr. $5 for senior citizens. The bylaws explain more, don't hesitate to contact me off-list for specific questions.

Maintenance rules (weeding etc.):

Again, check by-laws. I'll be happy to provide you with anything the by-laws don't address.

Volunteer work required?

Yes. (some of this is in the bylaws). You need to attend a certain # of meetings and monthly clean-up per year (5 of each?). Plus, people are encouraged to do additional volunteer work, and are required to participate in certain annual events.

Amenities (tools, greenhouse, etc.):

We have a couple of sheds used mostly for community tools and other shared items. The garden has larger tools such as garden forks and shovels. Individual gardeners have their own pruners, small spades, etc. We also have a gazebo, picnic benches, and barbeque pits. We have several community tended flower beds, fig trees, fruit tree orchard, grape arbour, and rasperry brambles.

To find out more about my specific garden, go to http://www.ngalandtrust.org/, click on "The Gardens/The 22 preserved", then click on "Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden".

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: By-Laws