Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryansr

Food to give..

ryansr
15 years ago

During the times we live in it is increasingly important to remember those who are in need, and to do out part to help our communities.

My family and I will be growing and extra bed of produce this year with the specific intent to donate it to a local food bank. I would like to find others who would be willing to do the same. If I find enough people, I will start some sort of group where we can exchange advice,problems and ideas. If you are not in the Denver area, thats ok, please join in!

Any takers? If you need help finding a food bank in you're area that will accept fresh produce, please let me know and I will try to help.

Comments (7)

• mephisto
    15 years ago

I've been thinking about trying to do "something" along those lines, although actually I'm thinking more along the lines of what I might call "community farming" wherein preferably there might be some amount of participation/help with the project from among the planned recipient clientele: especially or foremost with picking (and, once that's done, thereby easily also some of the delivery, such as to food banks or other food projects.)

This is not to say that home gardening and thenceforth, partial sharing of produce isn't great; actually maybe that would be a better and bigger idea than mine. Part of my problem there is lack of much of any space for a "home" garden: my residence is in an apartment building.
    Planning for something on a possibly larger scale in my case, seems like something which might help me acquire use of some land for growing space---not sure I'd see much sympathy, somehow, from entities such as public ones or corporate ones, if all I want is space for myself. As to community gardens, well we don't have one here unfortunately, and I'm not sure if such , locally, would work too well--actually the last time my town had one, I was the one who started it--and results were mixed and sort of short-lived: our site wasn't too great; there was a hydrant there but we weren't allowed to use it for water; we had theft, including one whole plot put entirely to potatoes.

• mephisto
    15 years ago

On the idea in general of giving away food, I just hope my people do better in one way than somewhat I used to, when I would give away unsold or other surplus vegetables and/or berries from my market garden: the level of appreciation really varied from one "outlet" (community action center/food bank; government food distribution site; senior citizens center; low income housing project). the govt food place sort of "asked a lot of questions" when I brought in some unsold produce: fresh picked strawberries!
    The place I brought the most, the local Community Action Committee Center, did very much welcome what I brought, and sought to assure me about one item in particular I brought in large quantities--"would all go out." Nonetheless, I did feel some lingering doubt as to how much this zucchini would end up getting cooked and used by recipients: this particular agency was one I knew to sort of tend to "press" items they had in quantity, of most any sort--clothes, furniture, food--upon clients--possibly whether they needed or wanted them or not.
    The long story short, is that the partial doubts I ended up with, rightly or wrongly, as the how much my donations were on target--welcomed, put to good use--began to give me a bit of sense of uncertainty, hesitation, and almost a bit of reluctance even, about doing the donating.
    But times are much harder now, and others of you may happen to be maybe a touch more bigger harder than maybe I naturally maybe am--well, I'm very low income, as maybe part of what drives me.

• mephisto
    15 years ago

"oops" : toward the end of the previous post, next to the last line, the phrase "more bigger harder" should have been, "more big hearted"!

Also, I neglected, or didn't get around, to explaining in my first post, why my idea for "community growing" of one sort or another, now has with it an idea of aiming to get recipient clientele involved in some way (helping grow, helping pick) with the efforts:
    1. it'd seem like client helping might help them value, and thus help them be very likely to actually utilize more of or all of, the produce they receive.

2. this I think might help in the acquisition of a growing site, maybe by recipients' hands on helping helping show their worthiness of assistance/chance to assist themselves, to potential site donors if any are a little conservative in their thinking.

3. ... because picking, toting, and delivering things, can be quite a bit of work--more than might be fully anticipated.

...Again, this is just my take on things, as this discussion gets started, and I don't mean to detract from the original idea, which, after all, I do think is excellent and much along the lines of , for example, former US "Victory Gardens," although along with Victory Gardens, there were also I believe similar projects more like "Victory Farms," manned oftentimes by schoolchildren during their summer vacations.
    Partly just offering my .02, while also seeking to "publicly" wonder a little, about just how much demand and potential actual usage may actually exist, for vegetables among the public in general, while maybe especially among potential client groups.
    I often wonder, just how much quantity do people really eat, especially maybe more "average" orlow income groups, of vegetables? Of fruits? Of fruits vs vegetables.
    And which is better for giving away? For children,which , vegetable or fruits, is more worthwhile to try to give away or promote? Vegetables because they are both very nutritious and also often non-sugary? OR fruits, because their sweetness may make them more acceptable to children--though if that sweetness leads to a neglect of vegetables, or much development of "sweet tooths,: maybe fruit is a little less ideal to promote than may be seemed?

(P.S. I hope these posts are appropriate enough and "on topic" enough; it's been a while since I've frequented this forum, but and having some things to say, I 'm motivated here to just "go ahead" and hope I'm on target...)

• so-hooked
    15 years ago

Having had discussions with my local pantry, fresh food is not welcome due to liability. In order to still provide it, vouchers were given in the past to use at a local grocery store which has now closed down. It's quite sad too because their prices were much better on staples like milk than the large discount chain. I dont know how they arrange that now.
    My thoughts about getting around that are to simply make it known that there is food available if they wish to have it, with out the food pantry's endorsement. OR perhaps offer the extra seedlings I started. I know this will reach very few people but a little help is worth trying for. Another thought would be to raise seedlings for a plant sale and use that money for donations.

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

I had replied to ryan's post on another forum, but will repeat myself here. Several of us along this rural road are planting extra this year for the purpose of donating to our local food pantry.
    We checked with the pantry to see 1) if fresh produce was wanted, and 2) what produce would be of advantage to their clients. We found that YES!! the pantry wanted our donations, and that almost all vegetables except eggplant was on the clients' "want" lists. We have divvied up who is growing what, and two of us are going to deliver once a week--one neighbor on Monday when she goes into town, and me on Thursday, when I do. The pantry has started notifying clients that as of 9 am on those days some produce will arrive, and will be distributed.
    Our first day is next week, and we are looking forward to taking lettuce, radishes, spinach and other young greens, and broccoli to the pantry. Some clients have offered to be on hand to help unload, arrange and even bag the produce. The local senior citizen group has made mesh bags for the produce, bags which can be re-used.
    I don't know who benefits more--those of us who have the joy of growing and sharing, or those who will have fresh and tasty vegetables to enjoy. I'm betting those of us who grow and give get more out of the whole project!

• knittlin
    15 years ago

How'd the first week go, Marlingardener?

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

knittlin,
    It went well! We had all the mentioned greens and radishes, as well as several heads of broccoli. The clients were there to help unload and bag and the mesh bags didn't fall apart!
    We were surprised that the clients only took what they were sure they could use in the three or four days between deliveries. There was no "If it's free, it's for me" attitude.
    We think that this is going to work out. Our delivery system needs a back-up, but we will figure that out. We had a local man tell us he has three acres of sweet corn planted that we can harvest for the pantry. We're going to get the local Boys & Girls Club to help us harvest. Three acres? Oh, lordy!!!