Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why do you garden?

Posted by urbanagstudent Mass (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 20:38

I am a graduate student at Boston University working on a project about urban women community gardeners and their motivation to garden.
Is it purely the love of gardening? Do you garden to improve your food security? Do you see it at all as a form of community/social activism?

Whatever your motivation, I would apprciate any responses. Please also let me know where you garden.
And keep up the good work-- gardening is wonderful for the community, the earth, and the soul!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why do you garden?

What an excellent question!!!! I could probably bore you for hours on the suject but to begin with as I'm in the uk can you use me as part of your study? If you can I'd be happy to help you out. Just email me at bwoodsoriginalsilk@googlemail.com
Im not the best with computers and i have no idea how i got to this site or if i will ever find it again so if its ok with you email is definatly my safest/easiest way to communicate. Look foward to hearing from you, regards Beth

o

This post is a year old, but just for kicks, I'm responding. I think for me it's mostly the desire for better quality ingredients to cook with. We joined a community share agriculture program last year, and I was BLOWN AWAY by the difference between that and grocery store produce. It was like being introduced to another world. It was also really expensive, though, so I'm trying to grow some of the same things myself. Also, it's fun to play in the dirt, gives me a sense of accomplishment, lets me grow wild and different things that I can't find at the market, and I really like talking to other gardeners. (Go terriers! BC sucks!)

o

For the fame and money. ;-)

o

Fame??!!! MOney is a big motivation for me, too. I can't buy produce like the stuff I can grow. -That and I like to play in the dirt.

o

again really old post, but all the same, very interesting question. i really like to garden because of the gratification that you get from growing something both beautiful and useful...those are things that are hard to come by in these days..

o

As far as I am concerned, it is like asking: why do you breathe?
I can not imagine my life without it (nor would I choose to).

~Natalie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here