Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need for non profit in community garden?

Posted by seekersue Ca (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 1:19

Hi, We have started a community garden in our small rural area. We have had some donatins and the participants have also borne the start up costs. All is going well but we do not have a non-profit status and now think we may need one. How do we do this? Is there another way to manage funds for this group without the hassle of a non profit organization? This is a garden with 12 plots and about as many participants right now. Thanks for your help. Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need for non profit in community garden?

Have you tried contacting a non-profit community garden in another area? We have one here in Salt Lake City called Wasatch Gardens. If you look them up on the web, their contact info should be on their site. I am sure they would be glad to give you information on how to do this.

Also, have you checked with your local government (town council)? Sometimes they will match or even fund projects like these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wasatch Gardens

o

I would like to know more about starting a non-profit community garden. Location would be in northern Ca. and I will be needing help. Housing will be available for experienced person. Thank you. Mrs. Brown

o

"Non-profit" is a tax classification, so you get the forms from the federal government and file with them.

I've seen the forms. They are a hassle. Many use a lawyer to file, but I think that if you follow the directions on the form, you could do it yourself.

The big advantage is that people can write off the deductions they make to you, so it gives you the possibility of large donations by a business or by someone who could use a deduction for that year.

It also might possibly make you eligible to participate in one of those community fund-raiser deals where the funds are divided among several local charities.

Also, you won't have to pay income tax on the donations that you collect.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor am I an accountant. Get professional advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here