Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatotomata

Help me choose my plot

tomatotomata
12 years ago

I have the chance to select a plot in a new community garden. What attributes should I consider? By that I mean, should I try to be west of the other plots? Away from the road? In the middle? On the edge?

My concerns: I want to have a successful garden (so I don't want to be shaded by another plot), but I also want to be a good neighbor (so I don't shade their plot).

The whole garden is flat and unshaded, so maybe there is no advantage to any particular spot. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

• PurpleCherokee
    12 years ago

The most important is sun exposure. Sounds like you have that covered. Likewise uphill, and you say the site is flat.

Where do you get water? Can you move close to the water source, if there is one?

Cross-plot shading should not be an issue. If your community garden is set up properly, there are rules against plants that shade other plots; e.g. sunflowers.

Is privacy and security a concern? You might want a spot away from street, or within street visibility. Is produce thievery a problem? That might argue for a plot away from the entrance.

• cygnwulf
    11 years ago

Crazy follow up - for general veggies and such, would a north-south or east-west alignment be easier to work with?

Sponsored