Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Mentorship

Posted by lunas_space Western Canada (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 02 at 14:17

I am the coordinator of a garden project in Central Saskatchewan. This is our second year. Last year we recruited a couple from our community to act as garden mentors and paid them an honorarium for their services. Feedback from our garden participants indicates that they liked the information that the mentors provided but that they felt that the mentors acted as "bosses" rather than sources of information. I would like to use the same mentors this year for a couple of reasons - they are a wonderful source of information and expertise and they could really use the money we pay them. However, I am looking for a contract or list of guidelines that I can give them when they start the project this year so that they have a clearer understanding of what a garden mentor does and doesn't do. Can anyone help me or point me to a website that has information of this kind on it? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Mentorship

You may get some ideas in a great new publication from the American Community Gardening Association (ACGA)called Growing Communities: growing community through community gardening. This 300 page publication covers many aspects of community garden organizing & support including leadership development, fundraising, asset based community development, etc. The book is available on the website: www.communitygarden.org

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here