Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_5

are we invisible?

cheryl - 5
23 years ago

i'm dying to get some feedback here. for several years, i have planted, cleaned, pruned, mulched, etc., several local spots that are very visible to the public. i'm not looking for the nobel peace prize, but a little recognition would be nice! i can't even get people to make eye contact! what's the deal here?!? it can't just be the weird hat! my psych 101 has deserted me in this area!

Comments (10)

• CynthiaZ7
    23 years ago

They probably think you work for the town! Or that you're a crazy person (the local eccentric?) for doing this. Well, I applaud your efforts, just think how beautiful our world would be if everyone took a few minutes to care for a few yards of community space!

• donna - pa
    23 years ago

cheryl, people might be afraid that you will ask them to help out. I am also a volunteer and have found that is the biggest worry. Also they might be feeling guilty because they are letting you do all the work. But please keep it up. The world needs more people like you.

• cheryl - 5
    Original Author
    23 years ago

thanks, ladies, i needed that! even the crazy part! besides, tomorrow i'm planting the library planters! onward!

• Karin Kostyzak - 9/10
    23 years ago

Cheryl, I often wonder the same thing. Read the Aesop's Fable on the boy sitting by the well. Fate's comment to him seems particularly appropriate. Keep it up! I am planting the beginnings of a Help Yourself garden outside the fence of our Community Garden for our neighbors. Who knows what the reaction to that will be. Nowadays, people seem to think that things happen magically, no work involved. The day someone stops to tell you how beautiful things are "beginning" to look (even though they have probably looked that way for a while due to your efforts) some of your love will be rewarded. Good luck, kiddo. KarinK

• Robin Clarke - 6 Boston
    23 years ago

My approach is to smile and make eye contact, and keep on working. It works! Possible reasons people arent friendly: People dont know if you're friendly or not. They dont want to intrude. I say, try my method and see if it works. I share your enthusiasm. I am known for writing a letter to a stranger who has a nice garden, just to see if I can get a garden buddy out of it. I address it "resident gardener". Good luck! Robin in zone 6 Boston suburb

• cathy
    23 years ago

I'm sure many people appreciate your efforts, even if they don't tell you so. Maybe they are shy, don't want to bother you, or giving you a compliment simply doesn't occur to them. I know - I've been guilty of not speaking up when I should!

• BryAnn 7
    22 years ago

There was a sociological study done where a professor had his students do things like pick up trash that missed the public trash cans, clean up graffitti, and other sorts of public works. But they were to do it individually, not as a group, and record reactions. This was to make it clear that it was the person's individual initiative to clean up, not a student club that does this kind of stuff one weekend a semester or whatever.

Results were that people felt awkward, because someone was doing the work, and they weren't, so they felt guilty. Or they felt that was a city worker who forgot their uniform or something. But the basic finding was that most people do not think that public space is theirs. Or that it is theirs to enjoy, but not take care of, because that's what city workers are for.

I'd like to join the others who have encouraged you to continue. How did you get permission to do these public plantings and I hope you get reimbursed for the plants!

• Marty_H 6A Cincinnati
    22 years ago

I'd just like to mention that, even if it is a city worker, it would be awfully nice to smile and show a bit of appreciation. If the gardened area looks nice then you can bet that this person takes some pride in his or her work, and would really enjoy a few words of acknowledgment.

I think a lot of times we're guilty of not acknowledging someone who holds an unskilled (supposedly), low paying job. I include myself in this, though I try to do better.

• Madeline Cains
    22 years ago

Hi Cheryl---I read your comments with interest, because I, too, took over a 'public area'---a small "island" where roads converged. It was totally overgrown and had a telephone pole stuck right in the middle. I worked on it for 6 years (rear in the air as I weeded, most of the time!) and can't tell you how many people stopped to say "thank you". I don't know if it was where I was, right where the cars stopped at the stop sign, or whether it was because many people 'adopted' islands in my town in Ct. so that it was an accepted and visible and people knew what you were doing. Were you working close enough that people could hail you, or were you in the distance? In any event, keep it up; you're not unappreciated.

• bdhe
    22 years ago

I think it's very nice what you are going. Here's a thought: Do volunteer work with no consideration of anyone thanking you or giving praise. Just do it because it needs to be done. Let your children see that jobs can be done without rewards. The reward is the good deed done. A good deed is just that. Then it becomes a truly unselfess act.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County