Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking of Joining a Community Garden

Posted by kcg1231 9b (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 7:56

Hello all,

I am thinking about renting a plot from the community garden. I do have my own veggie beds, but they do not get the best, consistent light in the fall (our second growing season here in Florida) and I thought it would make a nice overflow garden in the spring with big things like tomatoes and squash that I haven't had the best luck with in my small garden.

The organization provides a plot, soil, mulch and water (drip irrigation on a timer) in a fenced (locked) property. I think it sounds like an amazing and inexpensive way to get a little more production out of my garden, I do have some questions about it from those who have participated in community gardens:

1) How often do you need to go after the initial planting? I baby my own garden, but I don't have the water on a timer. Do you think 1x a week during the growing season and 2-3x during harvest would be sufficient?

2) Have you experienced theft in locked gardens? I am a little nervous about putting a ton of work into my garden only to have the "fruits" of my labor taken when ripe!

This post was edited by kcg1231 on Tue, May 6, 14 at 8:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking of Joining a Community Garden

1) it depends. My CG is at the Ames/TrueTemper QH and there is quite a few weeds. I have to go 3 times a week to keep the bind weed in check. I need to figure out how to keep my 84 year old Father from roto-tilling the heck out of it every spring, chopping all the bindweed roots into 6 billion new plants!

2)Ours is not locked, but the plant is open 24/7 and the parking lot and garden is under video surveillance. I'm sure there is a bit of snitching that goes on, I'd be lying if I said I never snuck a strawberry or two, but nobody has ever been cleaned out,that I'm aware of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here