Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markwestwind_ca

Community Gardening in California

Mark Westwind - CA
24 years ago

Hello!

Let me introduce myself. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, I served as the Community Gardening Advisor for Contra Costa County in the East San Francisco Bay Area. I organized community gardens, school gardens, a couple of hortitherapy projects, a suburban gleaning program and an urban ag./environmental ed. center through the Cooperative Extension and a local non-profit ecology group.

During that time, I also formed an organization called the California Council for Community Gardening (CCCG) - a precursor to the ACGA (I was also one of the founding Board members of ACGA). Through CCCG we held a number of very successful statewide conferences and created a network of contacts throughout the state. One of our goals was to facilitate the exchange of information - to spare new organizers the hassle of "reinventing the wheel" with respect to all the aspects of creating a new CG and keeping it going.

Since then, I've continued to maintain contacts throughout California and have them posted at: www.ccnet.com/~westwind. I'm working with a couple of people to upgrade the site to include photos, profiles, etc. (we're always open to additional helpers).

The information posted there was updated by a colleague fairly recently. I encourage you to take advantage of the collected wisdom and experience of these folks. I'm also open to answering questions and providing suggestions as best I can. My e-mail address is westwind@ccnet.com.

Keep growing! Good luck to you!

Mark Westwind

Comments (22)

• bettie cain - san diego
    24 years ago

i want to start a community garden in the north park, i am having trouble getting started . i can't find a plot to begin with. i want it to be non=profit. how can i find someone with land to donate it for a community garden?

• caroline94535
    24 years ago

Hello Mark, I'm very glad you posted this (even though it was a while ago...). I just moved to California (Novato in Marin county) and have a teeny tiny yard. Where oh where can I find a comm. garden here?? Could you possibly point me in a direction?
    Any help is appreciated. I feel like I'm starting allllll over again. :-)
    Thanks,
    -Caroline

Here is a link that might be useful: C's Gardening in Alaska page

• Yvonne Savio
    24 years ago

Hi, Mark--Glad to know you worked with UCCE and ACGA. I am Manager of the Common Ground Garden Program, with University of California Cooperative Extension in Los Angeles County. Common Ground comprises Master Gardeners (who present seasonal workshops at LA County's 100-some public community gardens and low-income housing developments, among lots of other volunteer activities), Master Food Preservers, and the Gardening Angels school garden program (we solicit volunteers from local communities to become Gardening Angels in their local schools, working with teachers to provide hands-on gardening activities to complement all curricula subjects).

We have two items people may want--1) Community Garden Start-Up Guide (the steps to consider to get the community and the bureaucracy to work together in creating a community garden)--it's several pages long and can be e-mailed as a MS WORD attachment or snail-mailed, and 2) Childrens Gardens, a field guide for teachers, volunteers, and children (or any beginning gardeners)--this almost-200-page book has basic gardening tips, project activities, and resources; cost is $15.50; sent only by snail mail.

• Catherine C.
    24 years ago

Dear Mark,
    I am interested in starting an urban gardening collective in Fresno, California. If you know anyone who is interested in joining me in this endeavor, please have them contact me.
    Thank you,
    Catherine C.

• Susan Kee - SoCal
    24 years ago

Oh boy! after being on the community garden committee for so many months, I actually got to visit the graded site and pick my plot this morning. I have been waiting for this moment for so long and now my mind has gone blank. Because it is so late in the season, I started many of my vegetables at home. The community plots are still not prepared and I probably need some info regarding soil ammendments. Help! I live near Pomona.

• nancy - 9
    24 years ago

Hi fellow gardeners..I would like to consider participating in a community garden in southern Orange County. As a beach cottage owner, I have little space for gardening. Thanks.

• Barry - pacific
    24 years ago

I am seeking rules usually posted at community gardens

• Rene - Sacramento
    24 years ago

Hi - I have some rules for community gardening that I can email to you. Give me a day, please. Also I run the community gardens at CSU Sacramento. I have found it to be a rewarding experience. Even though it can be a hassel with City and Universoty officials. Glad to see that this board exsists.

• Ann Mullen - 94134
    24 years ago

I would like to get involved in a community gardening project somewhere in the San Francisco area.
    Not only do I enjoy gardening, but I would like to be involved in a project with children or the elderly. It makes it more fun with some extra incentitive!
    Please contact me if anyone is interested.

• Rene Hamlin
    24 years ago

Hi- sorry to those people I have not rules out to, I looked at them and decided they needed to be updated a bit. I want you to know that our gardens will have an open house April 22, 2000 - yes international earth day. CSU Sacramento is having a huge event and I wanted you all to know about it. And to invite the local community gardens to have a table at the event and get information out about your gardens. If you are interested please email me ;)
    Rene

• Karin Kostyzak
    24 years ago

I am interested in acquiring copies of Community Garden rules and contracts from the other 49 states. I have a fax # if that helps. Oh. I also have a real address.
    Can anybody help me out? Thanks KarinK

• April Bertelsen
    24 years ago

Hello,

I am a graduate student pursuing my masters in urban and regional planning at Portland State University. I'm writing a term paper about community gardens. I am seeking to learn about policy in local municipalities for promoting and protecting community garden programs. Some very committed people and myself are looking into a policy recommendation. I am seeking any existing city policy on community gardens our local attempts to make policy. What has been successful? what were the strengths and weaknesses of the policies? I greatly appreaciate any info or insights.

To Yvonne Savio, I am particularly interested in the Community Garden Start-up guide. I was uncertain wether this guide was $15.50 as well. Please, let me know.

Thank you for your input.

April Bertelsen

• KMC
    24 years ago

Dear April,

I'm also in Portland, Oregon, & community gardens(Beaverton)...Best source in the Metro area are the folks at Growing Gardens---Program coordinator-Hannah Burton (phgp@teleport.com),503-284-8420(ph),503-284-5355 (fax),
    mail-2003 NE 42nd Ave#3 Pdx,97213. They recently went into
    winter "hibernation",so keep trying...

• Anthony Uno - 11
    24 years ago

Does anyone know of any community gardens in San Diego (preferably north county)? Appreciate any input.

• rene
    24 years ago

ASI Community Gardens
    Rules & Regulations

1. Plot fees are due on February 15th of each year and cover the
    year from January through December. If the plot(s) is rented after
    September 1st, the fees will be prorated for the remainder of that year.
    Any plots rented before September 1st must be paid in full. Payments may
    be made either in person at the ASI Business Office on the third floor of
    the University Union, by mail to the ASI Community Gardens, 6000 J
    Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6011, or in person to the Community Gardens
    Director.

Fees are as follows: Students: $25/yr
    Faculty/Staff/Alumni: $30/yr
    Community Members: $35/yr

2. Garden plots are to be kept well maintained. Poorly maintained
    plots, such as overgrown or garbage-filled plots may be repossessed
    WITHOUT REFUND and may be rented to another gardener. Only one warning
    may be given either by phone, in person, in writing, or by a sign at your
    plot. Improvement must be seen within two weeks. It is your (the gardener
    3. Each gardener is expected to help maintain the common areas of
    the Gardens at least 8 hours a month. One of the best ways to do this is
    to help out on the scheduled workday for the month (2nd Saturday.)
    Workdays are public days for cleaning and working on the common areas of
    the Gardens. Doing things like picking up garbage, edge trimming, tree
    trimming, and mowing the lawn. The Garden Director will inform each
    gardener, usually by phone, of the next workday with at least one week
    4. All gardening must be kept within your plot
    5. We ask that you remember safety first. Do not store tools or supplies in the pathways of the Garden
    6. The ASI Community Gardens provide many tools for you to use, however,
    you should bring gloves, a hat, and sunscreen. The tools must be
    replaced in sheds and locked up when finished. You are welcome to use
    your own tools, but we recommend you take them home with you at the end
    of the day. If you wish to store them at the Gardens, you must store
    them on your plot and they should be locked up. ASI is not responsible
    for any theft of your equipment. Every gardener is responsible for
    cleaning the tools after usage. Any dirt or mud left on the tools will
    result in premature rusting of that tool.

8. The water is NON PORTABLE (NOT DRINKABLE). Please bring your own
    drinking water with you.

9. Gardening practices must not interfere with other gardeners.

1. Organic garden refuse should be promptly removed and placed in the
      designated composting site(s). Other refuse should be placed in the
      garbage dumpster behind the tool sheds. Please recycle using the
      provided containers. Rocks may be dumped in the designated rock areas
      for future use.

2. This is an organic garden. No pesticides (insecticides, fungicides,
      herbicides) may be used. Please practice organic integrated pest
      management (information is provided in a separate packet). ...

• NANCY
    23 years ago

Hi everyone:
    I am a social worker based in a low income housing project in the city of Pomona, California. One of the fascinating aspects of this project is that it provides 6x8 deliniated plots of land for residents to start their own community gardens. The idea is that the 32 families that live in the complex will grow and harvest fruits and vegetables for their own consumption. I'm looking to start the community garden program with children in mind---teaching them about plants, how to take care of them etc. I am looking for some good natured volunteers to help me get this project of the ground. Please contact me if you have any suggestions or if you are interested in volunteering. Thank You.

• kelly
    23 years ago

Hello,
    I live in Playa Del Rey, California and I'm interested in finding out if anyone has ever had sponsors involved in their Community Gardens. We have an undivided "volunteer" garden located in Playa. It would be wonderful if we could get a Garden Center to "donate" plants/tools for our garden. Any ideas?

Many thanks,
    Kelly

• A Mitchell
    23 years ago

I'm intrigued by the idea of a community garden near a County hospital in S. California. Low income families who use the medical faciities, together with hospital staff, could grow vegetables to supplement their diet.

Does anyone have advice on dealing with county-related and hospital-related issues, as they pertain to community gardens?

Thanks!

• Gail
    23 years ago

I am so excited about finding this forum. I live in Novato California and want to start a community garden here but really haven't figured out how to start it alone. Is anyone out there with the same dream? Perhaps we can brain storm and take the first step together?

• Michelle Frost
    23 years ago

I've seen several messages asking about whether there are community gardens in San Diego -- but no answer yet! I, too, am interested in finding out if there are any existing community gardens with plots available. I recently moved to SD from Evanston, IL, where we had a wonderful community gardening program and I dearly miss it.

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

• Marshall - 10 CA/24 Sunset
    23 years ago

There are CGs in and around San Diego. Check the San Diego Gardener web page for links to CGs and other gardening groups and activities

Here is a link that might be useful: SD Gardener

• Sjberger
    22 years ago

Anyone know any in the Oakland (east bay) area? Tried using Marc's link but it doesn't exist anymore.

thanks,
    stephanie