Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Managing residency requirements & waiting lists?

Posted by LizzaNVA Alexandria, VA (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 14:51

I'm wondering how other community gardens manage their waiting lists and residency requirements. I finally got a plot in my county of Alexandria, VA after 3 years on the waiting list. So in my conversations with my fellow gardeners I've learned that many are not residents in Alexandria but rather live in other counties that often have MORE gardens available. Plus there are gardeners with more than one plot within a family. It's not fair to the residents who pay the taxes. Yes, they pay about $15-30 more a year but that's pocket change to these folks. I understand why they stay. This is the most strict organic garden in the area. It also often takes several years to get a plot going (amending the soil/removing weeds) so they've invested time, sweat equity, and all the stuff they used to amend their soil. Also, several I spoke with were residents of Alexandria when they joined the waiting list but have since moved.

What do other CG's do in these cases? I'd like to pass any info onto the organizer. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Managing residency requirements & waiting lists?

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / N.Virginia (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:35

I am part of Reston Garden plots. One must be a resident in order to obtain a plot. No outsiders no matter what. We have 4 here in Reston. They check to see if someone lives where they say they live. There are no exceptions to the rules. Theres a waiting list here too.
I think that each county should only rent to their own residents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here