Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happygardener23

Temporary fencing for my plot

happygardener23
11 years ago

I'm new to community gardening and I have rented 2 plots side by side for a total of 1200 sq. ft (30ft. by 40ft.). As I'm prepping the space I've noticed that many other "plot holders" are constructing fencing around their plots, which leads me to believe that theft and/or wildlife is a problem. The fencing ranges from chicken wire up to plastic mesh "construction" type fencing. It must be temporary because you cannot leave anything up in your plot from year to year, so whatever I construct I'll have to take down in the fall and put back up next spring should I decide to grow again.

I would like something sturdy but not something that will break the bank. I've priced the plastic fencing out at $50 for the length I'll need. My challenge is with the supports. From looking at others, I'll need about 24 supports, spaced at the 4 corners and roughly every 6 ft. It looks like metal fence posts are the sturdiest option with zip ties to attach the mesh, but at Home Depot, the fence posts run around $5 each, bringing my fencing costs in the neighborhood of $200 with tax. A little steep, and I'm not sure how the mesh will hold up to being taken down/put up year to year, not to mention storing the supports. Are there other suggestions for safe, sturdy, and less expensive supports or other fencing ideas that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner