grumperoo

Rules that make sense

grumperoo
10 years ago

Looking for feedback...
Legal Item
Rule
Basis
1. Only insecticides permitted on our specific list and formula which are generally accepted as safe can be used and must be applied correctly. All members of the garden have the right to question pesticide application . Many garden insecticides while organic or home brews may have dangerous ingredients when used in a garden. Only pesticides of known origin and commonly accepted as safe and organic should be used. Further some home brews or generally accepted as safe may be abused. http://www.getipm.com/articles/letters/pyrethrin-horses.htm In China and California, banned “miracle chalk” insecticide with arsenic and lead are still used in many gardens. Dubious mixtures were implicated in the poisoning of 2 children in a case at a circa 1929 Milwaukee orphanage.
2. Pest control may only be applied on non-harvest days. Harvest days are designated weekly as Tuesday. Thursday and Saturday. Many pesticides inactivate after a day making harvested vegetables safer.
3. Non potable watering sources will not be applied on harvest days. Non potable water can raise health risks especially when wet.
4. Plot is for the sole purpose of a gardening in the “Garden”) to be assigned by the organization to community members. Gardens may not be used for other purposes.
5. Plot is assigned for use by the _____ day of ____________ until the ______ day of ____________________
6. Plot is to be kept clear of weeds from the opening day to the final day of growing even if not planted. Poor appearance and noxious weed growth.
7. Failing to keep the plot clear and planting by June 1st will forfeit the plot and will incur a maintenance charge of $_____ per month if the community garden cannot reassign the plot. Fees paid will not be refunded.
8. Harvest garden produce as they ripen. Ripe produce attracts vandals and animals.
9. Gardeners will attend on their assigned work days.
10. Rent will be charged at $_______ per ________
11. No Potatoes may be planted. Carries disease blight to tomatoes.
12. Only the plot gardener may give permission to harvest on their plot. Other gardeners are not allowed to pick without that permission. The plot gardener “owns” all the produce as long they are the assigned gardener. In general, gardeners must garden their own plot.
13. Gardeners may not resell any produce. This 1) exposes the garden to liability from food poisoning issues; 2) encourages commercial groups into enterprises that reduce access to private community-based gardeners; and 3) eliminates support from the neighboring community and affects the tax status of the garden.
14. Toys or attractive nuisance items cannot be on the site. Gardens contain hazards to children.
15. Each gardener is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their garden plot. Watering, weeding, harvesting and any other garden related maintenance are all the responsibility of the gardener. Gardeners may arrange for other gardeners to water, weed or harvest their plots. Please notify the coordinator.
16. Tools will be made available for use during the regularly scheduled work time each week. A limited number of tools, hoses and watering equipment will be available in the community garden storage bin for use during non-scheduled work times. Regularly scheduled work times will be posted on the garden bulletin board.
17. Each gardener will be given one key to the garden and the storage bin for access to tools and watering equipment. Gardeners are responsible for bringing that key each time they work in the garden. Keep garden gate and storage bin locked at all times and return all tools. Put all bags and items in the shed or take them home.
18. Children are welcome in the garden but must be accompanied by an adult and must be supervised at all times.
19. Each gardener must complete a Release of all Claims form before any work in the garden can begin.
20. Garden plots should be cared for at least once a week. It is the gardener's responsibility to notify the coordinator if he or she is not able to care for their plot in any given week. If any plot remains unattended for more than three weeks that plot is subject to reassignment. Even if not yet planted.
21. The application of herbicides (weed killers) to the garden plots is prohibited.
22. Assignment of garden plots will be awarded by a lottery first come first served system. Preference for next year's plots will be given to this year's participants first.
23. Plot fees are due in full before the garden season begins.
24. Gardeners may harvest vegetables and flowers from their garden plot only. Ripe produce is not available for others. Please note that any permission to harvest must be given in a written or email format.
25. At the end of the growing season, gardeners are responsible for clearing their plot of all plant material and leaving the plot as they found it in the spring.
26. The Garden Committee is responsible for ensuring that the rules are followed at all times. The committee is made up of gardeners (s)elected each year at the spring meeting.
27. A good neighbor policy will be followed at all times.
28. Gardeners shall not park in business lots nor block traffic but shall only park in the areas designated.
29. Illegal or dangerous plants will not be planted.
30. Entry into the garden by others may be challenged by any person in the garden. Expect and respond respectfully.
31. The area is monitored. Smile for the camera.
32. The garden is not the place for arguments.
33. I will pay a fee of $___ to help cover garden expenses.
34. I will have something planted in the garden by (date) and keep it planted all summer long.
35. If I must abandon my plot for any reason, I will notify the garden leadership.
36. I will keep weeds at a minimum and maintain the areas immediately surrounding my plot if any. If my plot becomes unkempt, I understand I will be given 1 week's notice to clean it up. At that time, it will be re-assigned or tilled in.
37. I will keep trash and litter out of the plot, as well as from adjacent pathways and fences.
38. I will participate in the fall cleanup of the garden.
39. I will plant tall crops where they will not shade neighboring plots.
40. A good neighbor policy will be followed at all times.
41. I will pick only my own crops unless given permission by another plot user.
42. I will not use fertilizers, insecticides or weed repellents that will in any way affect other plots.
43. I agree to volunteer hours toward community gardening efforts.(include a list of volunteer tasks which your garden needs).
44. I will not bring pets to the garden.
45. I understand that neither the garden group nor owners of the land are responsible for my actions. I THEREFORE AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS THE GARDEN GROUP AND OWNERS OF THE LAND FOR ANY LIABILITY, DAMAGE, LOSS OR CLAIM THAT OCCURS IN CONNECTION WITH USE OF THE GARDEN BY ME OR ANY OF MY GUESTS.
46. I will not act in a manner that reduces the viability of the garden in the long term but understand the garden is a sustained enterprise.
47. I will expect to pay a reasonable amount for the garden. On average, a community garden has a minimal initial cost at $1-2 per square foot as an enterprise. Operating costs are ½ that. http://www.urbanharvest.org/cgardens/startguide.html http://www.urbanharvest.org/cgardens/startguide/constructing.html
48. I will wash all produce properly in clean water and a soak before consuming it. I will provide the provenance of the produce to any I give it to and ask them to clean their produce. I will not place uncleaned produce with clean produce.
49. I will not use manure in the garden.
50. I will not compost noxious weeds nor raw manure nor kitchen waste.

Comments (16)

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am collectng these as I go along to develop a model set of useful bylaws. Currently the gardens I am familiar with seem to hit these after a time.

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

51. A course on garden safety and bylaws will be given and gardeners must attend.
    52. Insurance is carried by the garden and acting properly is essential to the garden.
    53. I will not distribute produce at the garden site but should I choose to do so then I will distribute at an appropriate location. I will not encourage actions that will allow anyone to think that theft from the garden is okay. I will not take actions that will lead others into moral or legal dilemmas. I will not allow subsistence on criminal actions
    54. I will report all crime.
    55. I will follow the " help with both hands" rule. Some will do more and some will do less to assist the garden.
    56. I recognize that the garden is more than my plot.
    57. Sale of produce is not permitted at farmers markets or roadside stands.
    58. Brownfield agriculture products are not to be sold. I will ensure that all produce grown on the site is cooked or cleaned properly.

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

58. Ladders and equipment attract children. The doctrine of attractive nuisances may apply to the garden. Hazards reasonably expected to attract children will be removed.
    59. No pesticides will be left on site.

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

60. Upon notification of an infested plot, you are required to take measures to treat the problem. You are required to respond to the notification. Your bugs and slugs are my bugs and slugs.
    61. Have a garden buddy designated to tend your plot.
    62. Don't destroy the community garden, either by destroying the community or the garden.
    63. Gardens impact wildlife. Areas like compost piles. The corn stands should be fenced off to protect deer.. Gardens impact animals. Grapes and tomatoes are toxic to many animals.

This post was edited by Grumperoo on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 16:52

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

64. I will not donate food from within the garden premises nor allow the donation of pick it yourself crops. Gardeners pick all crops.
    65. I will not grow noxious plants for any reason.
    66. Only designated persons may use or feed high value items listed as ________.
    67. Our garden does not discriminate in any way, but if asked to leave the garden do so with good grace.
    68. I will make amends.
    69. Talk to the other gardeners. If you don't, the community garden cannot survive.
    70. I will keep my children off high value trees, and in my control. A garden is not a playground.
    71. Mark your plot with your name.
    72. I will not support any organized theft ring (????).
    73. Do not feed the fish.
    74. Politics will stay at home. Your altruism isn't mine. Plants don't care about your causes.
    75. Mark all your tools in the common area with your name.
    76. In order to be reimbursed, receipts are always required. If we didn't agree to buy it, you donated it and thanks. Ask first through our committee.
    77. You are expected to volunteer with whatever needs doing. You don't have a right to be back next year if you don't volunteer. Ask what needs doing.

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

78. We are a diligent responsible organization that pays our bills and treats our neighbors with respect.

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

79. While organizations that donate food are admirable, we will not treat them differently from any other organization, and we require that they inform their insurance and indemnify our garden with their own insurance to cover food safety.
    80. Soil testing is available on March XXX for your plot and costs XXX. It is performed by ______________.
    81. You agree to remediate your plot after the years end.
    82. Wash all shared tools and spray with the hydrogen peroxide wash bottle to reduce plant disease spreading.
    83. In order to participate and harvest in the shared area crops, you must sign up.
    84. You must weed the fence line.
    85. Our yearly budget is projected to be X thousand dollars. Expecting a lower cost is not possible,

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

86. Copper compounds will not be used in your plot more than once s year. Copper builds up from overuse.
    87. Herbicide _____________ cannot be used at all. While you ca
    n buy it don't use it here. You will be prosecuted if caught and charged for site cleanup.
    88. Area x of our garden was a _____________. No food crops will be grown in that area.
    89. Use the composter. Turn it when you see it.
    90. Drop food donations at ___________________. Call ______________.
    91. Plots for 2014 are assigned as from direction ___________ as 1_________________, 2__________________… .
    92. Use of our phone lists and email addresses for any purpose other than garden business is prohibited. Don't share them out. Don't give business email addresses please.
    93. Accept cleanup requests gracefully. Request cleanups even more gracefully.
    94. We report suspicious activity.
    95. Do not leave personal items in the garden.
    96. Don't contaminate the rain garden area. No fertilizer with manure, etc. A rain garden is a reservoir not a garden.

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

97. Our compost mix is _______________ nitrogen to ______________ carbon. Coffee grounds and banana peeps are very welcome. Please abide by our mix ratio in the composter.
    98. Please put sunflowers and corn in the center of your plot. Don't shade your neighbors plot.
    99. Sign the sign in sheet and record all guests. You agree to indemnify us for your guests and they must agree that they enter at their own risk. They must sign the waiver to enter the garden. You must monitor them. You agree that you and they are responsible for their actions and hold the garden and its members harmless. It should be understood that you also permit them to enter the garden on the understanding that they hold you harmless.
    100. You cannot share your plot without permission. They must pay the same fee and sign the same waiver.

• rawb
    10 years ago

How to implement these 'rules 101

Garden comittee as per Roberts Rules.....

• ghoghunter
    10 years ago

Are you writing this post as sarcasm? I cannot believe anyone would want to join a garden with so many complicated rules..I think it is absurd. To each his own I guess. Most people will not even read past the first line.
    Joann

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's not the purpose of the post. But your feedback is quite welcome.

The post is a collection of garden rules I have found accross the internet. Our rural garden does not have these rules. In general there is a formal process and model sets of rules. A community garden is an enterprise. Insurance and safety rulea and reasons need to be spelled out. These rules conflict but are there as a list of useful and indeed useless rules. Not all these are in the same tense or person.

Some of the rules are a bit funny... so a bit of sarcasm is there.

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The post is a collection of garden rules I have found accross the internet. Our rural garden does not have these rules. In general there is a formal process and model sets of rules. A community garden is an enterprise. Insurance and safety rulea and reasons need to be spelled out. These rules conflict but are there as a list of useful and indeed useless rules. Not all these are in the same tense or person.

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• gdesign
    9 years ago

Thank you for gathering these here. I agree a lot of them will not make sense to many community gardens but it is nice to know what is out there, since it may help a new group develop rules of their own.

• grumperoo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Any rules are still posted. There is a wiki link to the rules in a garden leadership course.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors