Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yanggers

community garden in college an oxymoron?

yanggers
17 years ago

The setting is a small liberal arts college in Southern Maryland, right in the Historic St. Mary's City. Five years ago, a student built a community garden as his Senior project. In this sunny, unpartitioned, circular plot of appx. 40ft in diameter, people have planted everything from banana (yes banana) to mint (yes mint), Jerusalem artichokes to wild weeds. I have taken over the charge from the previous people who gave up on it, citing not enough interest and participation. I took the charge out of neccesity; I didn't want to see the space go away back into the lawn. It's been half year, I have not done much changes except building a website with wiki abilities and using a powered rotor tiller in the early spring. As of now, half of the plot is being used, planted with vegitables and a few kinds of flowers. The other half is lush with volunteer plants survived from last seasons and a colony of mint. It seems that I am the only person taking care of it (I am staying here over the summer), and others seem to have in their mind that it is my garden, not the community's.

The difficulty as I see it is that, with students living here for only 4 years or so, with them going home every "summer" from May 'till September, there is not much chance for this garden to be part of their lives.

How can I set the focus the garden to fall-winter-spring crop/flowers that would actually mean something for the people, without going too far from the feel of a good old garden? Would remaking the garden to have alloted partitions be helpful in serving the purposof the garden? Are there really any thriving college/university community gardens, and how do they do it?

Comments (5)

• flourish
    17 years ago

When I was a student there was always a need to find a spot to hang out that was free and open minded. It seems that you could attract more students to the garden if you promoted it as a place for students to gather. Perhaps there is enough space to hold a Friday night drum circle (fliers at the local record store) or a Saturday night poetry reading (ask English professors to announce in class). Would the local college be willing to write a story about the garden in their school newspaper? Would they allow you to post fliers around campus?

One of the things that I truly liked about starting a community garden is the idea of the garden as place. ItÂs somewhere that people can go that does not involve purchasing anything. There is no advertising. ItÂs just a scrap of ground where you will see green things growing and perhaps stop and chat with one of your neighbors. With all this other activity going on perhaps students will take an interest in making pretty and delicious things grow.

You've created a lovely website.

• utsharpie
    17 years ago

you would be surprised at how many students take summer classes

• billme
    17 years ago

You might also consider mking the space available outside the student community and include the staff and possibly (shudder) faculty. Gardens have a way of creating their own community, so by making it a welcoming place, you will encourage others to participate, and likely get those who are truely interested in maintaining an involvement there. Post some signs for free iced mint sun-tea on every other Friday when the maintainance staff finishes their shift, for instance, or make an open invitation to anyone involved in a particular activity to visit after practice or whatever.

From my own point of view, I'd love that much space to myself, instead of the 12 foot square I'm working now. 'Course, I don't have a class load...

• veggiepark
    17 years ago

You could try planting more seasonal fruit/vegtables, apples and pumpkins for fall come to mind(could tie in to a harvest/homecoming festival theme), another possiblility though more expensive would be a greenhouse(s); a cheaper alternitive is those poly/plastic frames that extend the growing season. They commonly found at most greenhouse supply stores online. They can be used to grow tomatoes, herbs, floweres, etc. well into the fall and early starts during early spring, late winter. Also i/m sure some students stay on in the area through summer , maybe posting flyers or internet messages for a type of summer club for stay behind students. I think its great you want to keep this new traditon of a college community garden alive. Good Luck and Best Wishes to you and your school.

• doorpostpaint
    17 years ago

I am a college student at the University of Colorado at Boulder and we have several very successful community gardens. Most of us are non traditional students and/or graduate students as well as staff. As I am trying to think through why our gardens work so well I think part of it is that we have a tremendous number of international students. They have the added incentive of growing veg and flowers that they can't get in the local store and its really fun to exchange growing ideas that we might never have seen or discovered otherwise.

I have been able to help our Chinese gardeners grow tomatoes - which in Colorado can be a bit of a trick and they have taught me secrets about how to grow pak choi and cucumbers that have made all the difference.

Good luck and don't give up! I feed my family on frozen and stored produce throughout the fall and into the winter - a great help on a college student's budget.
    CSML

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths