Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Utilize abandoned property

Posted by gdnh 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 21:46

In our town there are several houses apparently foreclosed by some out of town bank waist high grass broken windowns etc. How about an informal community garden roto till the yard and give out plots. I guess its risky in case the owner (a bank I guess) shows up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Utilize abandoned property

Trespassing and vandalism (if you hit the sprinkler systems). If you know what the bank is, write and get their permission.

o
RE: Utilize abandoned property

Squatting is generally illegal. Plus gardens take time investment and you are very likely to lose the effort and cash that you put into it when you are thrown out rather abruptly.

I suggest you try vacant lots that are NOT in foreclosure. Contact the owner and offer to pay $1 a year to garden on the site. The owner gets the benefit of not having to keep the weeds under control.

If you do that, you will have to purchase liability insurance that covers both the gardeners and the land owner. Those policies are pretty cheap if there is no building.

The benefit is that you know you can garden until harvest, and if you take good care and look neat, you might get to keep the use for a couple of years, since bare lots are virtually unsalable in this economy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here