Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doorpostpaint

Disease in the Community Garden

doorpostpaint
17 years ago

Well, this doesn't come close to some of the nightmares that some of you have been through but I would love some advice if you have it.

I have been growing tomatoes in an organic CG in Colorado for five years and it has taken me the full five years to really get how to do it well. Our soil needed tons of help and there's the issue of the crazy weather and its the desert with snow in June and wow... but I was promised by many a master gardener that if I persevered I would get it and have beautiful tomatoes.

So this is my year despite golf ball hail, temps fluctuating from 75 to 95 sometimes during the same day, and some wierd garden violence. I have gorgeous tall tomatoes. But across from me is a plot that is terribly neglected and the tomatoes have three kinds of disease and those are the ones I've identified...

i have been fighting the bacteria and fungus as it blows over but I feel so frustrated at the fact that its a losing battle. I have tried good sound organic methods but as long as those spores are 4 feet away and the wind blows and the rains fall its a losing battle.

So do I go to the gardener and tell her in some respectful kind way that I cannot think of on my own that I will gladly share tomatoes if she will just rip out the sickly diseased spotty rotten garbage - (perhaps not in those words)

Or do I just suck up and realize this is what it is to be in a community garden and smile when she shows up every 7 days to water (in the high desert that works to keep just enough rain on the plants to keep the disease proliferating)

Oh what do I do?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions