Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbuffa

The Negatives of a Running a Community Garden

GardenBuffa
12 years ago

I am in charge of a fairly large community garden. I thought I would post some of my experience in regards to it. I live in the city of Buffalo and there was a lot of land next to my house that was torn down for parking. The block club was assured this house wouldn't be torn down but was. After the parking lot was shot down by the city I attempted to purchase the land from the authority that owned it assuming since they couldn't have their parking lot it would be of no use to them. After being turned down, as they are probably waiting for the right time to build a parking lot again, we got Grassroots Garden of Buffalo involved and are on a 5 year lease for our community garden.

People love the thought of coming together for the community and people love planting plants and coming by once a year to do so. What people won't show up to do is weekly watering, mowing, or weeding. It's not fun and the results, while important, are not nearly as rewarding. Do not be surprised by this nor do not take it personal. Unless you have a core group of people that you know it just will not happen but fall on you alone or a few people.

People will come along and build a flower bed, or plant a tree, or plant a plant in the stupidest most inconvenient spots and then never return to care for it. Say there is a narrow heavily used path in your garden. Do not be surprised when someone comes along and plants a tree smack in the middle of this path.

If you plant vegetables and other edibles do not expect to reap the rewards. Say you have a squash plant that you water every day, pick the beetles and smash them, and tend to it for months. Then when it comes time to pick that squash that you've been watching since it was a mere flower and BAM your neighbor "who has been waiting for those squash all summer" gets to them first while putting no work in. It's frustrating so if you can't deal with this happening don't plant them.

Do not leave anything behind. If you leave any garden equipment do not be shocked when someone takes it. Now you may be thinking to yourself "bums, crackheads, thieves!!!" Well I hate to break this to you but it is other gardening folks who are taking it. If a crackhead thief was to wonder into a garden he will not be selective, he will take everything. But if a shovel and a nice pair of pruners are next to each other and someone takes the pruners and leaves the shovel it is probably another gardener taking your stuff.

People will take plants. Some people will tactfully divide a nice looking hosta so you won't even notice. Others times people will take a giant chunk of your hosta and leave you a straggling piece if it. Other times people will take the entire darn thing. Do not plant anything expensive or unique.

Do not plant fussy or invasive plants. Community gardens need to get to a point where they can take care of themselves until you can get to them. If you plant plants that spread and put them next to other less aggressive plants but don't want to pull then expect a bed full of goose neck loose-strife. You want to plant that water hungry plant but miss a week expect it to die in July.

With that being said on the polar opposite side of that you also want plants that fill in nicely so you don't have to put money into mulch or you will be weeding a lot.

Do not spend too much of your own money but rely on non profits, people, and other community gardens for divides and donations. In the beginning we took any and everything. Those ditch lilies everyone has? We'll take. After a while after there was no more room you turn them down and start working of variety.

Do not take anything with out examining it to the core. We've had people donate iris infected with iris borers, peonies intertwined in bishops weed, roses that had clumps of bindweed. If you let these things in they can spread everywhere and it ends up being more work than its worth.

If you plan on a community garden you have to be weary of these pit falls. A community garden is supposed to be for the community and if you over whelm yourself with the work of it you will probably end up abandoning it. Good luck!

Comments (13)

• CarrotHeidi
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I also think that the negative experience is a result of running the garden as a collection of shared beds instead of a collection of beds assigned to individual gardeners. I manage a garden with 100 different gardening families and we don't have gardeners stealing from each other, nor having confusion about who grew which plants, nor abandoning things they planted. I have several gardeners who left other community gardens because they were ran that way, though. I have yet to come across someone who had a good gardening experience in that kind of community garden.
    I can honestly tell you that of our 96 plots, two were planted then abandoned, and they were assigned to new gardeners within 24 hours of the initial gardener admitting to the abandonment. We also have never had things planted in stupid places - but ours is a raised-bed garden on cement so it would literally be impossible to do so.

• CarrotHeidi
    11 years ago

I agree with leahsurfer and would say it this way: If you run the garden professionally, with plots assigned to specific gardeners and with contracts in place with every gardener, and with a deposit, you will NOT have abandoned plots nor will you have people taking other gardener's produce. If you run the garden all willy-nilly, with no designated planting beds and no hard rules, you will get walked all over and end up exhausting yourself. My advice is professionalism: Treat every gardener the same, make your expectations clear at gardener orientation, have written clear and precise rules, have signed agreements that you adhere to, and don't do communal beds!

• hellbound
    11 years ago

I am in a community garden and we have both a communal plot and individual plots and that seems to work well once in a while ur veggies still get poached but such is life I always plant way more then I need and share anyway so it works out

• hellbound
    11 years ago

I am in a community garden and we have both a communal plot and individual plots and that seems to work well once in a while ur veggies still get poached but such is life I always plant way more then I need and share anyway so it works out

• gdnh
    10 years ago

We run monthly work days but I have noticed a lot more chatting than actual working however I guess for the most part our garden works out same system as above individual plots each person responsible for own plot. Some plots seem to never get planted or tended though.

• grumperoo
    10 years ago

We just started garden out here but it's painful. Most of the gardeners are new to community gardens. I'm not new.

Don't let the public into the garden.

The pilfering has started. I am going to use fake tomatoes with a wireless sensor to stop pilfering. About $20 with a magnetic sensor (GE or some such) and a fake plastic tomato.

• JesseModFarmer
    10 years ago

Hello, I am writing a story about community garden difficulties and disputes for Modern Farmer magazine. I would love to speak with anybody who has relevant experience. Please contact me: jesse@modfarmer.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Farmer

• mamagotcha
    9 years ago

I just started as a community garden manager and tripped over this thread. Thank you all for the great list of pitfalls to avoid! Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Anyway, I saw that Jesse's article mentioned above was published, and thought others might want to take a look at it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thievery, Fraud, Fistfights and Weed: The Other Side of Community Gardens

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    7 years ago

I just saw this thread, altho it is from 2013. I had posted about my problems and glad to see I am not alone as is clear from the OP. The set-up where I am is each person has their own plot. I am not aware of produce being pilfered, but when I told someone about my hoe being taken from my plot, they said I should not leave any tools there. I guess they are right - it is not so much the cost of a tool - it is the idea that a fellow gardener would walk INTO my plot - my tools are deliberately kept in the center - and take something.

I feel so vulnerable. Most plots here are fenced in, mine i snot, so I guess my stuff is there for the taking. It really makes me not want to garden there anymore.

• Campanula UK Z8
    7 years ago

Don't be discouraged. The tool loss is, imo, much more annoying than the odd plant - I have a shed on my allotment or I would take my tools home. I have been gardening on a large shared site for 16 years - the most annoying thing was the year a bunch of local kids stripped all my (unripe) apples from my cordons - I honestly wouldn't have minded too much if they had been eaten but they had simply thrown them at each other. And there are all the usual gripes about weeds...but for me, it was my only chance to actually have some space - I have a minuscule home garden - so I put up with the irritants. And it can be nice to be convivial (although I am a surly grumpy sort). The more you invest in time and effort, the more you see the time gardening as more precious than the actual results...and the setbacks tend to appear more minimal and just part of the usual cycle of death, loss, rebirth that is so familiar to gardeners.

• Erlinda Mendez
    7 years ago

You are unfortunate enough to have a community like what you shared to us. Ours are shared labor and at the same time shared veggies as well. But we realized that sharing with the same area with plants that need to be well taken care of might be a little hustle since there will come a time that someone might take advantage. What we did was we have our own plot and put a family name in it. Well of course, the plants that already been planted in the garden will be divided and each one of us must cultivate, water and clean the weeds in our area in order to be active in the community because whosoever will not take care of their own plot will be called in the meeting.

We organized it because it seems like others are not participating when it comes to cultivating and cleaning the weeds and then suddenly will come out during harvest time like your problem in your community garden.

• gardenwolverine
    6 years ago

There can also be the problem of gardeners meaning well, but their 'help' actually doing damage to other people's gardens. Like my current problem, where people were assuming that because they didn't see me (I like to go down early in the morning and late at night when people aren't there) that I was neglecting my bed so they were watering it for me. Every Day, even after I had clearly watered. I just finally put up a sign telling them to leave it alone, but my rosemary, dill, basil, and flowers are all very small because of it, and some seeds, like my marigolds, never emerged.

The mole has been more helpful, eating all the slugs!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES