Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thief-resistant plants

Posted by dirtmonkey z8 OR (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 23:25

Reading around here today I've seen a lot of complaints about thievery in the gardens. It's something I expected, but hope to minimize.

I saw mention by one person that their leeks were left alone. OK, check. Leeks on the list.

I'm sure it depends on the area and what kind of neighbors or transient people are around, but what else have people noticed the thieves leaving alone?

Thanks,
Vincent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thief-resistant plants

Most things that grow underground are safe from theft. Such as potatoes (which many people don't recognize by the plant, anyway), sweet potatoes, jerusalem artichokes, carrots, garlic, turnips, rutabaga, and parsnips. Herbs are also left completely alone in my experience. Most people don't know what they are or what to do with them.

In fact, in our garden which is completely unfenced, we're having little or no problem with thieves.

Traditionally, tomatoes are attractive to thieves of all kinds, human and animal alike. I think it's because they are so noticable even from afar. You can get around that by planting unusually colored tomatoes, though. Yellow ones, for instance, that you pick before others are aware they are ripe.

Cabbages draw a lot of attention but because they are large I haven't had any thefts of them so far. Last year beans and peppers were common items to be stolen from the garden I belonged to along with tomatoes and fruit, and again, I think it's because they are commonly recognized and easy to see from afar.

I remember wishing, last year, that more people would steal zucchini. Late in the summer I even began draping the vines over the fence in hopes that they would do so.

o
RE: Thief-resistant plants

Our garden is locked and only 5 gardeners right now. And most of those are too lazy to even pick their own ripe produce!
Tally Ho!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here