Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil tests, ammending soil, support web-sites

Posted by
Harriet - 9 or 9a
(GardnOasis@aol.com) on
Sat, Aug 7, 99 at 23:43

This is my first year as Garden Coordination for a garden that is also in it's first year. I work with health administrators and teachers and am twisting in the wind on some of these subjects everyone thinks I have at my fingertips. (losing my hair by the fistful!!)

I have recently begun testing our soil: PH level, phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium. The instruction booklet doesn't even begin to detail the whats and how-tos of amending. Which is fine, really. I'd rather find it in a dedicated plant arena than a chemical or non-gardening arena.

So, do you know any good sites which include specific plants' soil and/or nutrient requirements??

Beyond that, what sites do you love to supplement your community gardening work with??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil tests, ammending soil, support web-sites

Have you been to the Organic forum? Lots of great feedback there and some very informed gardeners. Many of them have a great sense of 'community' as well. I live in a co-operative housing complex and always get lots of great responses to related questions that I post on that forum.

Dawn G.

o

The best thing you can do for your soil is to decompose organic matter into it. Set up a compost program. Encourage mulching.

o

Getting organic matter decomposing into your soil is the best thing you can do. Compost and mulch. Does your garden make compost? If you have enough organic matter in your soil, N-P-K etc. takes care of care of itself.

o

It takes a while to organically ammend your soil. Patience, however, is not a strong point for teachers, who often look at a garden or environmental center for immediate produce. I know. I am the Environmental Center Coordinator at my school.

I have spent three years adding to my soil and gradually building up the nutrients. A colleague goes to places like Starbucks (coffee shop) and natural juice shops. He picks up their refuse -- especially coffee grounds and carrot mush. He works this into his soil about a month prior to planting. He has some of the best soil I've ever seen! We have deliveries of horse manure and chipped leaf and bark mulch to add. What resoources are available to you?

o

Karin, what a good idea about the natural juice shop and coffee shop. Our educational garden is in it's infancy, and some of our satelite programs are, too, like our compost bins, our worm bins, our soil health, our insectary, etc.
I asked our local salad shop if I could have their vegetable waste for our worms, which is working out well. I pick up vegetable matter outside their back door at least once a week. (I hope they don't get sick of the same thing day after day!!) Our office staff, teachers and preschool age students also help by composting their appropriate materials. I know where a juice bar neighbors a coffee shop, so it WOULD be a good resource: fast and efficient. Thanks for the tip!!

o

As Jon said, with enough organic matter the #s take care of themselves. What he didn't say is that he has developed a method of dramatically increasing soil fertility at no cost and minimal effort that has swept the Seattle community gardens. There is a long thread in the "organic" forum discussing the Interbay mulch. I urge you to read it.

o

• Posted by
    Sean Phelan - 8(WA)
    (danus@webtv.net) on
    Mon, Nov 29, 99 at 12:33

There's a long IBM thread in the"soil,compost& mulches" forum that explains it all!Any further info needed, please write.
Sean

o

How should soil testing be different in community gardens on abandoned lots in urban neighbirhoods? I'm wondering if there are certain chemical contaminants I should test for and how I'd know if the land is safe.
Thanks,
AJ

o

Heres a link to the soil test lab I use here in NJ. It should give you an idea of what kinds of testing should be available to you thru your local co-op extension service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers Soil Testing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here