Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help: 'living fence' ideas

Posted by matt79 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 04 at 2:33

Im posting this in several forums

Im looking for some help. Ive been asked to come up with several plans for our community gardens "living fence". A fence has been constructed around the gardens, and now were planting various vines and brambles to grow up/around the fence. Grapes are already being put in along some sections, so thats a non-issue. Theres a strong interest in raspberries and currants, and Im looking into hardy kiwis.

I already have a good idea of what to do with raspberries (i.e. planting, and control of canes inside and outside the fence). What Im looking for are:

1. Pros and Cons of planting currants and kiwis, and how much space to give them, and

2. Other ideas of edible, perennial vines/short bushes that we could plant.

Things to keep in mind:
-theres hundreds of feet of fence, so we have room for several things
-this is zone 5a Madison, Wisconsin.
-maintenance must be easy, not much more than an annual pruning and a shot of fertilizer once or twice a year.
-the fence is only around 5 feet tall, with "rabbit fencing" on the bottom 2 feet, and just a couple of wires between posts on the top few feet.

Your help is much appreciated!

-Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help: 'living fence' ideas

What about hyacinth bean vine?

o

I planted two kinds of pole beans, purple and kentucky, by our chain link fence. Many people have said how much nicer it looks. The purple flowers and leaves are quite striking. I must say though that I'm not looking forward to cleaning it up after frost!

o

Espaliered fruit trees?

o

There is a spinach vine you could grow, but not sure of the proper name. There is also an italian bean vine you could plant which is edible. You could plant passionflower vine. They have "Maypop" fruit on them after they flower that can be harvested and made into jelly but the vine is VERY INVASIVE, so you might want to plant it in a good ceramic pot. I had one planted in a whiskey barrel but it tore out of it and it's all over my neighbor's yards now. It is absolutely beautiful though and very fragrant. Hope this helps.

Mary Ellen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here