Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow a Row for Hungry

Posted by yummykaz 8 (yummykaz@aol.com) on
Fri, Sep 19, 03 at 18:08

My son and I grew a bunch of produce over the summer and donated it to a local food bank. We were not real organized as it is just our little donation. But in a few weeks he has the chance to publicize this idea. During his Bar Mitzvah, he can talk about a Mitzvah or "good deed" he did. We make it a point to do good deeds without credit. But this is an opportunity to share an idea.

Does anyone know where I could get a poster and info? I am not looking for info on a specific food bank, but the Grow A Row idea. I am planning on putting this out during our reception with some pictures of my son in the garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow a Row for Hungry

yummykaz,
Hopefully this site will be helpful to you...

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant a Row Grow a Row

o

Hi Yummykaz,

Good for you! You should be very proud to share the idea at your sons Bar Mitzvah. The project "Plant A Row For The Hungry" was created, in part, by the garden writers association of america. If you go to www.gwaa.org , there is a lot of useful information on the project and they might even be able to send you plastic plant labels that you could pass out at the bar mitzvah. Good luck and...mazel tov!

Josh

o

Thanks everyone! My son's Bar Mitzvah was last weekend during our destival of Sukot which is a harvest festival. I laid out on a table pictures of him and his produce he grew, and the things Grow a Row sent to me. I also printed some handouts off their website. My son mentioned this project in his speech.

We had a blessed weekend!

Becki

o

What a wonderful thing to teach your son. Congratulations!

o

• Posted by nifka z6a buffalo ny (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 16, 04 at 14:23

yummykaz,

that is awesome! maybe you and your son could even organize a group at your synagogue to garden together for that purpose? congratulations to your son.

nifka

o

Ive tried to locate a place for extra produce to be distributed since our local senior center changed its food service. The new service will not take donations of any fresh veggies

I then contacted the areas Interfaith Council for suggestions as well as Senior Gleaners. The general response was that if it wasnt canned goods - forget it.

Id like to hear of your experience with actually being able to find an organization that would take garden produce.

Terran

o

We donate ours to a free restaurant, they love it. Our company provides land, water, seeds, and we donate the food grown. Usually people go out on their lunch hour and work in it once or twice a week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here