Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Teenagers as gardeners?

Posted by pookiejean z9 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 16:40

I am a supervisor of a juvenile community garden where teens work off their fines for non-violent offenses--like traffic tickets or shoplifting (instead of having their parents pull out their checkbook to pay the fine for them). I'm always wanting ideas from other gardeners to SPARK the kids' interest in gardening. After all they will be the future caretakers of our earth. All of our vegetables that are harvested go to a local food bank. It's a great program, but my city and just ONE other city in the big state of TX have this juvenile community garden program. Remember that these kids don't want to be there in the first place!

Also, I'd like everyone who reads this message to find out if this program would work in your own city. And if not, why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teenagers as gardeners?

Make it into a market, so they grow and sell vegetables, and they can use the money to improve the community centre, buy a pool table, build a skateboard park, something like that. Once they have bought a pool table (eg) they can use it when they want.
Tell them and show them that good homegrown veggies are gonna make them healthier and stronger than that stuff you get from Maccas or the supermarket. And let them taste tomatoes or peas straight from the vine, hmmmmmmm.... yum....Boys like to show off and be strong, let them do the digging and hard work, Girls will like to nurture little seedlings and grow them up to be strong (that is sexist, but it does make sense to the kids)
Smart kids can help with the accounting, and working out what prices to charge and how much profit can be made...
so #1 have a goal
#2 make plans to meet that goal, using whatever skills the kids have
#3 work thru your plan until they start to see their goals being reached
Then they will understand the whole system and hopefully help you work towards it.

o
RE: Teenagers as gardeners?

Lettuce links in Seattle is a similar program. You might check out their website (http://www.cityfarmer.org/lettucelink.html) or call them for inspiration.
-ccc

Here is a link that might be useful: lettuce links

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here