(newentrt@aol.com) on
Tue, Oct 19, 99 at 16:53

Hi, i am a high school student in Los Angeles. We are doing a
senior project which we are going to redevelope a hill right across our high
school. Our theme is to have more community involvement in helping our
education. We are planning to expand our high school which is woodrow wilson
high school. in out community, we lack important elements that we need for a
better education such as a descent library, recreaton center, and area where
we can have our biology department can conduct experiments and projects. We are interested in building a community garden too to bring the community closer together. We are hoping to build all that but we have no idea on how are we going to do it or how much the cost will be. Hopefully you can assist us in our project
which is of great importance because if we have a good proposal, the city
might even consider of doing it. Thank you for your time a patients. hope to
hear from you soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i need your help

Try getting the media involved - the more exposure the better. Might also contact some of the gardening clubs to see if they'd "adopt" or sponsor your cause. Volunteer your services to the community, beautification, assisting elderly; anything that will give you positive feedback. Good luck, Ann

o

Check with your county's agriculture extension office. They may be sponsoring a Master Gardeners' program. If so, then they local Master Gardeners may be able to help you. The telephone listing for the extension office may be hard to find, ask your school or public librarian for help. The local Habitat for Humanity may also be able to help you get started. Are there businesses in the area? Many businesses offer partnerships to local schools, with not only money but also other forms of assistance for such projects.
GOOD LUCK!

o

WE have a Community Garden adjacent to our school in West LA (Richland Avenue Elementary). It's kind of a nightmare if you don't get it started right. Check your city councilman's office look into Clean and Green, and Garden Angels. Get your Community Garden Rules set out and enforceable before you let anyone start to weed a lot! Ask other Community Gardens if they will share their rules to help get you started. Check with the City to see if you are eligible to receive free manure deliveries. Come on out to our garden on a weekend and I'll give you the run-down if you want. Community involvement is great, kiddo, but has it's price. If you can get the teachers and parents behind you, that might be best. Good luck, keep in contact! KarinK WestLA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here