Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoonakhristenson

activism produced from community garden

zoona Khristenson
23 years ago

I am researching community activism and social change stemming from community gardens. I am seeking people interested in sending me their stories!!!!! I know that people have become involved in social action around and through community gardens. If you know anybody or have a story yourself send it to me a.s.a.p.. I hope a few of you have time to share your stories. I am especially interested in eco village, co-housing and subsidized housing gardens and their history/legacy. Thanks for your time!!!!!

Comments (3)

• Marty
    23 years ago

There's an interesting group in Cincinnati called Imago that has a number of people who have purchased homes in the same neighborhood, and I know they promote the use of native plants. They are listed at 700 Enright Ave, phone 513-921-5124 or 513-921-8455.

• narada
    22 years ago

I have a story to tell...our community garden became the war trophy...

A community garden became the dream of a single living in public housing in Elsternwick...Elsternwick is a leafy beachside suburb 15 Km's from Melbourne, Victoria , Australia.

At that time (4 years ago) Public housing tenants were really feeling the brunt of the fascist/econimc rationalist/capitalist Kennet governement (state). For the first time ever Kennett raised the public housing rents and took away security of life long tenure. Kennett spent nothing on the exsisting stock...reduced spending and was repremanded by our Commonwealth Governemnt for not using the money it had given Kennett for public housing....

Although things were tough, We have a singer/poet called Paul Kelly here who sang a song called...from little things big things grow...it is about the land rights struggle of our Aboriginal brothers and sisters....but we too were stolen, degraded, lacked status, broad based education and monetry wealth and had been left to rot...some of us feared we were becoming the women of the Victorian ghetto's in london...

So...with inspiration...Vanessa started lobbying, gathering, and working towards permission to build a garden in the common areas of the public housing landscape...I suppose they thought "its just a bit of dirt and seed...what can come of it?"

They eventually said yes....the garden now covers 30% of the landscape...has no fences...some self seeding happens... there are tools, resources, knowledge and friendship to be found there...and if you want to be involved in the political...(the personal being totally political) you meet in the garden...the gardners are multicultural and multi talented...its a joy to see so many styles of gardening in one place...ever one seems to be working...

There were many plans that grew from the garden...the garden had always been simply a conduit for communication, breaking down barriers, inproving self worth/opnion/esteem/power. The garden recognised the beauty and talent of the peopele who had little economic status and sought to build them up. It began to lobby for a community room...somewhere to work, have a phone, get serious about self sustainability (we all know the dangers of rely on government funding dont we?. Classes were planned, new garden beds, a sensory garden, childrens groups were run, holiday programs, a community market, partnerships were developed with the wider community, land reclamation was planned and Rainbow Enterprises sought to be an economic outlet, selling handmade wares and delivering small business idea and education to tenants....all for free...all built by the free labours of women....

the guerrilla girls grew out of the Garden Committee...their work saw them to make public protest on housing issues, they dumped a broken down car outside the Port Melbourne Town Hall ...the car was painted with "emergency housing unit 13" and signs were put along the road to highlight the...

• Wondering
    22 years ago

Narada - Once the door to "more help and better conditions" is opened it often proves to be a trap. The job of the government is NOT to promote freedom but to promote dependency on it's bloated self.

Sometimes things can go from bad to worse, pretending to be "progress." Sounds like that is what happened there.

It is only in our hearts that we are free, thus only by the sweat of our brows that we prosper.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor