Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's good to grow in a tiny CG?

Posted by eileen_plants z6 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 30, 06 at 21:08

I have just contacted a local community garden about joining - I am very interested, but have never worked in a garden before. I have been caring for 60 houseplants for the past year with good results. Could anyone suggest something that would be good to grow in a 4'X 4' plot this spring? I'd love to try tomatoes, even cherry tomatoes...am thinking more in terms of flowers than veggies, though. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's good to grow in a tiny CG?

a 4x4 plot is just the size of a single "Square Foot Garden". It's a technique that can help beginners get successful results. Here are some links that can help you choose your layout, whether or not you choose to use the SF method.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg102140054308.html?89
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/NeighGarden.htm

Note: one summer squash or melon plant, left untrellised, can cover over 6 square feet of dirt. One tomato plant can lay over 4 - 5 feet. Trellising your plants will help you get a much better yield...and that goes for vegetables and flowers. Why not have both?

o
RE: What's good to grow in a tiny CG?

You might also try reading John Jeavons's book, How to Grow More Vegetables and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land than You Can Imagine: a Primer on the Life-giving Sustainable Biointensive Method of Organic Horticulture. I borrowed a copy from my local library and am reading it now, and getting lots of ideas for our small urban community garden plots. I'm also learning a lot about how to take care of and build up the soil so that what I do choose to plant will have a better chance of producing more food.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here