Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
metals/plastic in compost pile

Posted by
Theresa - 8
(tjbettsion@alltel.net) on
Wed, Dec 15, 99 at 5:33

I am new at composting, especially on a large scale. The community I am working in has over several months been collecting grass clippings and now leaves for the compost pile. It has gotten quiet large.

We have to use a front end loader just to turn it. As a result of using this large equipment we have been seeing plastics and a large rusted 55 gal drum (bent up) in our pile. I don't know if by using this loader and perhaps going to deep into the soil underneath the pile has gotten this debris into the pile or perhaps someone has placed this debris into the pile. But my question is this:

Is the compost pile now contaminated or could I just simple remove is debris and still use the compost? How could I find out if it's contaminated, is there a test I could have done on it, I really don't want to contaminate any beds nor dispose of this huge pile and all the work that has gone into it. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance, Theresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: metals/plastic in compost pile

I would instinctively recommend having at least the 40 gallon barrel tested. If it contained any form of mineral oil, your whole pile could be contaminated. Hopefully that is not the case. I would think there should be some kind of municipal or state health department to give you some help there.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here