Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
research funding received! need protocols

Posted by
Gwenne Hayes-stewart
(gwenne.hayes-stewart@mobot.org) on
Thu, Dec 9, 99 at 14:04

Gateway Greening received a generous 3 year commitment to fund a research program to determine the efficacy of community gardens on the neighborhoods they serve. while it would be conducted in ST. louis, the results will impact all cg groups. If any studies are known or any research protocols are already out there, please let me know. ACGA, CFSC already in the loop. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: research funding received! need protocols

Dear Gwenne,

Here are 2 sources that might give you some leads...

1)Growing Gardens--"Creating gardens with volunteers for fresh food, learning, exercise & friendship where the need is greatest", a community partnership that starts lots of private community gardens,especially among low-income & organized groups(schools,nursing homes,apartment complexes,neighborhoods,etc.). Program coordinator---Hannah Burton(phgp@teleport.com),mail-2003 NE 42nd Ave#3, Portland,Or 97213,503-284-8420-phone,503-284-5355-fax. They have recently gone into winter "hibernation", so keep trying...
2)The Portland, Oregon School District has had a specialized high school curriculum program for ~25 yrs that combined vocational & academic horticultural tracks into 4 yr actual experience. They also had jr high level intro courses that funneled interested students into the high school. I think the current name of this program is "Green Thumb". They have been subject to lots of research studies & might be able to help you with your questions...
Best wishes & good luck!!

o

From what I've seen and read, San Francisco League of Urban Gardeners (S.L.U.G.)seems to be the best. With full cooperation of the City of SF, they have a lot of programs, and recieve a lot of educational and research grants and foundation funds.
I wasn't able to find a website for them, but I think they have one. It may take an old fashioned telephone call to 415-285-SLUG. The director is Mohammad Nuru (sp.). Perhaps he can give you useful ideas.

o

I'm a NYC community gardener. Studies were done by the office of the Brooklyn Borough President, Howard Golden and NY State Senator Sampson.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here