Return to the Community Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to start?

Posted by
erica NY
(eheilman@healthology.com) on
Wed, Dec 12, 01 at 17:46

I am moving up to Sullivan County New York from Manhattan, and I'd like very much to organize a community garden in my new community, in the spring. I've never done it before, and I'm not a master gardener.

My sense is that gardening is not a main event there, to some degree because there are ridiculous numbers of deer. But I'd like to initiate the project, and I wonder if anyone has advice for how to jump start things....if I am initiating this project, will it be a fulltime job?

I'd like to do full crops altogether instead of breaking the garden up into personal plots. Is there any obvious reason not to do this?

Woah.
Essentially, does anyone have any starter advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to start?

There is a national organization for community gardens, I do not remember the exact name of it but it may be on the list of non-profit organizations listed here at Garden Web. They would be the best place to start.

You can also check with the local Master Gardener extension office for resources, they can be quite helpful.

"Plant A Row For The Hungry" is another organization that has roots in community gardening.

I hope this helps you some.

o

• Posted by
    elsie_vancouver BC Canada
    (esands@axion.net) on
    Sat, Jan 5, 02 at 12:52

Hi Erica - I am a community gardener in Vancouver, BC. Good luck with your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vancouver Community Garden Report

o

Hi . I think that you will find that many people garden for food seriously in Sullivan County. They fence out deer, spray predator urine around, hang hair balls around...
There are farmstands. You will not find it difficult to get manure and hay. Perhaps you could find people who cannot do all the work that it requires, but can pitch in. Also there are some serious garden clubs there and in Ulster County.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Community Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here