Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
speckled_toad

Advice? Starting a semi-private community garden.

speckled_toad
16 years ago

Hello. I am interested in offering my large garden space to share with local neighbors (in apartments/trailers) who haven't gardening space. I'm looking for tips or advice on how to do this. I have read several sights about community gardening, but I haven't found any suggestions that address the way I would like to do this. Hence, I look to you for suggestions.

The basic facts:

I have several acres on which we've previously had a nursery which has contributed to its current lovely landscaping.

I have a large garden space, with watering system, greenhouse, tool shed, potting area and an area to grow plants in containers.

I have a neighboring trailer park, most residents of whom I am NOT fond of (due to past vandalism and theft by some of those residents and drug use by some residents), but I have compassion for the children and would like to offer them, through their family, an opportunity to experience growing things, appreciating nature, and eating (and having) good food.

Ideally, I would like to have a garden planted with a variety of foods that could be shared by all who participate. I don't, however, know how to practically do that. *Suggestions, please.*

Our garden has always been grown and maintained by my family and we've always had more than enough food to can, freeze, share, feed the chickens and still much has gone to waste. We also have berries and fruit trees with much abundance.

Besides the obvious of sharing food, it is my hope to build "community" in this process.

Specific advice requested:

I am not concerned with figuring out fees and tool usage, etc.

I AM interested in suggestions how to organize "sharing".

What occurs to me is to have a planting/gardening schedule, sign-ups, and then a harvest agreement--that's where I need help.

I suppose one option would be to have individuals plant and maintain one crop, have their own first harvest and then open their crop for harvest share . . .I can see problems, not solutions.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much for thoughts.

Comments (4)

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

I used to coordinate an organic Community Garden in a park which belonged to the City of Berkeley, California. We had to fence the garden in (with barbed wire on top) because of theft of the food crops and damage by roving dogs. We also had to lock up the tool shed because of theft of the tools by non-gardeners. (They'd sell the tools at the local flea market.)

Most of the people gardening were middle-aged folks. We tried to get children interested, but we weren't successful. We encouraged a mix of flower and produce gardening because of the pollinators and beauty brought by flowering plants. Cottage gardens are gorgeous!

We held potluck meetings once a month (in the garden) to share info, educate each other, and air grievances. Each gardener had their own plot. We discouraged the planting of perennials, unless it was something like an artichoke, which would produce food year after year.

Once in awhile we organized work parties. Peer pressure got most of the gardeners to show up. We did our own compost. We had to build a large bin for that. We also had to do intense weeding a couple of times a year because nearby Bermuda grass, growing in the park, would encroach upon the garden.

I doubt a rotating schedule would work. Someone will always be flaking out for one reason or another. However, if gardeners have their own plots, they will likely feel more responsible. Sharing amongst gardeners would happen naturally, if there is abundance of some items.

If you wish to discuss more in depth, I can be reached at
    lornaf@zianet.com
    Please put "community garden" in the subject line so I do not inadvertently trash the Email as spam.

Lorna

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

I used to coordinate an organic Community Garden in a park which belonged to the City of Berkeley, California. We had to fence the garden in (with barbed wire on top) because of theft of the food crops and damage by roving dogs. We also had to lock up the tool shed because of theft of the tools by non-gardeners. (They'd sell the tools at the local flea market.)

Most of the people gardening were middle-aged folks. We tried to get children interested, but we weren't successful. We encouraged a mix of flower and produce gardening because of the pollinators and beauty brought by flowering plants. Cottage gardens are gorgeous!

We held potluck meetings once a month (in the garden) to share info, educate each other, and air grievances. Each gardener had their own plot. We discouraged the planting of perennials, unless it was something like an artichoke, which would produce food year after year.

Once in awhile we organized work parties. Peer pressure got most of the gardeners to show up. We did our own compost. We had to build a large bin for that. We also had to do intense weeding a couple of times a year because nearby Bermuda grass, growing in the park, would encroach upon the garden.

I doubt a rotating schedule would work. Someone will always be flaking out for one reason or another. However, if gardeners have their own plots, they will likely feel more responsible. Sharing amongst gardeners would happen naturally, if there is abundance of some items.

If you wish to discuss more in depth, I can be reached at
    lornaf@zianet.com
    Please put "community garden" in the subject line so I do not inadvertently trash the Email as spam.

Lorna

• inanda1
    16 years ago

email me off list. I started guerrilla gardening on a vacant lot 4 years ago with local kids when their gardens overflowed my back yard. It has been a great success.
    Ginny at inanda one(use arabic numeral) at mts dot net

• inanda1
    16 years ago

I messed up so now have a new computer.

You had better email agin and putCommunity Garden in the subject line too.

Ginny

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations