Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovecomposting

Companion plant for Kale

LoveComposting
9 years ago

Hello
I have grown Kale for the first time and it has been hugely successful, so much so that I have given armfuls away, taken it to work, made lots of kale recipes and the rest is now going in the compost.I am over kale and will plant a smaller amount this year. It has been bug free until recently and it is now covered with white fly. I have heard that garlic is a good companion to plant for kale and wondered if anyone had had any success with this or is there a different plant that would work well?
Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting Tips

Comments (10)

• dianescat
    9 years ago

I read that planting wheat or rye as a cover crop on the off season will get rid Kale pests, but I didn't plant early enough last year.... I have some pest that started up a couple of years ago but don't know if it is white fly. I have had kale for years with no problem until a couple years ago.
    It looks like some kind of aphid or mold almost.... comes on well into the season

• eloise_ca
    9 years ago

Kale is extremely easy to grow as you've discovered. I use my kale in juicing, salads and other dishes. When I have extra I blanch it and freeze for later use. I've planted onions next to my kale.

• dianescat
    9 years ago

I also chop extra kale in the cuisinart , freeze it in ice cube trays and store in the freezer to add cube at a time to baked goods, soup, etc
    I like the Red Siberian kale with flat leaves, don't see it in the store much

• SMC Zone 5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here are some of the combos that I read about and am going to try: Kale companions are beets, cabbage, celery, cucumbers, dill, marigolds, onions, nasturtiums and spinach. Keep kale away from grapes, beans, strawberries, tomatoes and rue.

Nasturtiums do seem to draw white flies so that may be a pairing. You may want to Google the other combos.

• dianescat
    8 years ago

thanks! Maybe I'll try the nasturtiums and will plant cucumbers soon. This year I've already had kale that came up well, but then got some disease, like a fungus or something eating it... when they were quite small... usually don't get it until later in the season. So I pulled them all out. It has seemed to affect the swiss chard as well.

• SMC Zone 5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey Diane, Kale is one of those cool-weather plants so perhaps you were lucky in previous years with yields. If you're trying to grow kale, perhaps try again when they will mature in a cooler time of year ... check the local greenhouse plans. Else, you should spray if your cultivars seem to be doing well, then go pfffffttt. I've had all sorts of bugs and fungi this year ... don't know why - not had them before; however, I still perservere and use pyrethrium (spell?) spray for an organic treatment of all sorts of bugs and fungi on my plants, especially my climbing rose. Schultz (vendor in New York State) has a spray that I use which has pyrethu. ... Spray and then let the plant rest with the treatment for at least 5 hours, then gently wash the plant with the hose for at least three minutes ... and voila. I give a lot of produce away, so I have to ensure that things are organic; i.e.; all natural.

Chard is one of my most favorite veg ... to have to discard plants is (to me) sacrilege. Where are you located and in what zone? There are so many people who can offer great advice to ensure you successfully grow what you want to eat/preserve.

• SMC Zone 5
    8 years ago

Oh ... and douse the kale seedlings/plants with chamomile tea or cinnamon tincture.

• dianescat
    8 years ago

PNW... I have grown kale and chard for years, starting them either in early spring or just before fall... they have always had large yields and lasted over the winter... but in the last 3 years or so they have had that stuff on them, that looks fungus or just withering.... and this year it started when they were very small
    I think there is some pest that has gotten established in the soil, someone mentioned something earlier... maybe if I don't grow them for a season or so? and someone mentioned having a cover crop of rye or wheat.... I like the idea of cinnamon or chamomile but don't like chemical sprays

• SMC Zone 5
    8 years ago

The spray which I'm recommending is organic .., pyrethrium. Perhaps the soil and plants have to be drenched with some sort of tincture. Regardless, rotation is the key: however, if you have rotated, the companion planting and a dousing should help.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting