Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac Shrub Companions?

Posted by telamin z5 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 8, 05 at 13:48

Greetings fellow gardners

I have a mature lilac shrub in my backyard. It's easily ten feet tall and blooms nicely, but looks rather lonely since it has no companion plants in the nearby vicinity. If you could please send me suggestions for good companion plants that grow well in central ohio (either zone 5b or 5, depending on which map you use), it would be much appreciated.

Some helpful info: 1) i'm a novice gardener, this is barely my second year at gardening; 2) i have a dog who likes to lay nearby because the shrub gives great shade coverage in the middle of the summer; and 3) the shrub is located along my north eastern property line.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

telamin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac Shrub Companions?

I think that lily-of-the-valley, Convallaria majalis, would look lovely in the shade of your lilac, and it's easy to grow. The plant is considered poisonous, however, so if your doggie likes to nibble on random things in the garden, I would find something else. :) My animals don't nibble on anything but the grass, so I'm lucky not to have that problem.

Have fun with your new thumb, telamin! :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: lily-of-the-valley

o
RE: Lilac Shrub Companions?

Perhaps a large mulched bed with another variety of Lilac nearby; one that blooms at a slightly different time to extend the show. Lilacs are lime-lovers, so lime well, and dont ad acid-lovers to the bed. You'll still need to get close to the flowers for sniffing and pruning purposes, so add a few step stones and maybe some Lavender (which is another lime-lover), Forget-me-nots and Thymes. Mulch the areas in between, and you can ad more later... such as Daffodils and other Spring bulbs. I have done this along my privacy fence. Robin in NC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here