Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone here prune lower leaves of tomatoes?

Posted by walktrotcanter99 z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 27, 07 at 14:26

Hi, Does anyone prune off the lower leaves of tomatoes to fit in Basil and Peppers? Does this work? I grew basil in with tomatoes this year, and the basil never got too big an wondering if I should prune the tomatoes.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone here prune lower leaves of tomatoes?

Depending on the type of basil you grow, it does best in its own space in full sun(it can get a couple feet tall). It may have been getting too much competition(and too much shade) from the tomatoes to grow very large. I prune the lower leaves of my tomatoes for more air circulation to help prevent fungal diseases. Peppers also need full sun, and some types can also get pretty large. Did you inter-plant peppers last year, and how did they do?
Are you planting in ground, or in containers? The Square Foot Gardening forum may have the information you need. Hope this helps.

o

Ditto what noinwi said. I pruned some of the lower limbs of my tomato plants and it does seem to help reduce fungal diseases (from soil that gets splashed up on the plant during rain or watering.)

o

someone just told me to plant carrots under the tomato plants. i think I'm going to try it. i was wondering if I could trim the bottom leaves of the tomato plants to make room for them, so thanks for answering that question!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here