Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my brain hurts

Posted by numbnerve z7 Piedmont NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 26, 05 at 22:59

I'm trying to plan the schemes for several flower beds this Spring with a bunch of new seeds I've gotten lately and honestly, the possibilities caused my wee brain to shut down.

Let me start this thread with one combination. Hopefully those of you out there will be familiar with these choices.

Gomphrena 'Strawberry Fields'
Evening Scented Stock &
Agastache (Hyssop - Honey Bee Blue)

I don't have huge beds and was curious if these three can be planted in close quarters of each other without any being smothered out completely. My experience with the Gomphrena indicated it would be a good choice for growing through others since its foliage is somewhat leggy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...and feel free to suggest your favorite combinations so I can quit thinking and just do the same thing -- hehee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my brain hurts

You should have no problems planting all of them fairly close together, numbnerve. They won't smother or overrun each other, unlike some people I know. :D

Have fun and don't stress (if at all possible)!

Brenda

o

Good to know....thanks

Not stressed per se, just pleasingly consumed with piecing it all together.

g'day =)

o

I saw your post, I'm another red clay gardener. Battling Kudzu and weeding a lot also. I usually am scheming about outdoors but I've turned most of my attention indoors lately Painting,etc.

I suggest you look at Argeratum, it is used in edging a bed. It is great in the clay, performs when everything else is struggling. Dies at frost. It's my go-to plant.
Agastache is doing great. Look at mallow(?) plants, new varieties with huge, showy flowers. Found some at all the local plant centers.
I never have luck with stock, too many things(critters) like it.
The Gomphrena worked well, even re-seeded. Wasn't as showy as I hoped.
Rudbeckia is excellent for me, and coneflower(from seed even). Ice plant is a great plant with ...
Uh-oh, I better finish up with the painting.
Christine

o

Thanks for the suggestions...

Does anyone think Astilbes and Foxgloves would make good companions?

=/

o

If they're complimentary colors, I think they'd make great companions! The difference in textures is potentially stunning. :)

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here