Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas, impatiens and...

Posted by Jen26 USDA zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 04 at 23:35

After years and years of planting impatiens only in my northern exposure foundation garden, I'm getting a little braver. I've ordered six "forever pink" hydrangea, with which I want to plant white impatiens. I saw a beautiful astilbe (called astilbe fanal) that has a red plume, but I don't know if it would look good in combination with the hydrangeas. If I were to combine all three, what would you suggest as to the arrangement of them? My beds are 18 feet long and 3 feet deep. (If other companions come to mind, please share!) Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas, impatiens and...

I'm not familar with that hydrangea but it sounds wonderful. And I think the red 'Fanal' Astilbe would be pretty in between them with the white Impatiens in front.

I think Campanula persicifolia (peach-leafed) may do well in your zone and fit in?

o
RE: Hydrangeas, impatiens and...

All my hydrangeas are "Forever Pink"--very nice dwarf shrubs. Of course, something should be said for diversity but heck, they were a deal :-)

I think a pleasant arrangement would be to place the six hydrangeas along the length of your beds and kind of toward the back, plant the astlibe forward of the hydrangeas and place them so they are staggered (the astlibe would be forward of the space between the hydrangeas), then fill in the front gaps with white impatiens. That would create a very symmetrical, formal bed.

Personally I grow calla lilies with my hydranges but astlibe will probably be a very nice contrast. One thought, what will the winter interest be?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here