Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart (Dicentra Spectabilis)

Posted by gee_oh_nyc 7 (gee_oh_nyc@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 12:27

I have a beautiful Old fashioned Bleeding Heart that fills in shady corner of my patio garden for the first few months of the spring. When the summer heat comes the plant dies back and leaves a bare patch.
I am thinking of putting Coleus around it so that it might fill in as the Dicentra goes dormant. Has anyone had luck with other companion plants for this beauty?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart (Dicentra Spectabilis)

my mom had some of these in the deep shade garden in michigan she grew hostas with it, was beautiful. I would never of said anything would of grown in that area, it was so shady. the bleeding heart was going dormant when the trees were getting good and leafed out, which is how it managed to get any sun at all.

sally

o

Great question! I am about to sow some Bleeding Heart seeds myself and found that Hostas, Astilbes, ferns, begonias, columbines, epimediums, fuchsias, hellebores, primroses all go well with it.

Enjoy!

o

There are a lot of plants that just look nice with bleeding hearts, but you're talking about something to specifically take the place of the plant, right? I'd love something like that too - ideally a perennial that's just coming up as the bleeding heart is dying down. Of course the other option is just to put in shade tolerant annuals like the coleus you're considering.

o

I'm planting fall blooming Japanese anemone near my bleeding heart. I've read it is a good companion that fills in as the bleeding heart is going dormant. Also have planted Bunnera Jack Frost in front of my bleeding heart and they look great together!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here