Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peas and Garlic

Posted by drippy 7bAL (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 15:21

One site that I look at frequently said that garlic benefits peas, so I recently seeded peas in between my garlic rows. Now I am seeing in other places that peas and garlic shouldn't be planted together. What is right, and where do I find reliable information on this?

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peas and Garlic

I'm getting back to companion planting. Louise Riotte wrote a great book called Carrots Love Tomatoes. The book covers companion planting for veggies, herbs, flowers, .... You get the picture. Peas and garlic are not supposed to like each other. Good luck.

o

I've read both sides that peas and garlic should or shouldn't be planted together. There is so much contradictory information out there. In fact, the title of the book referred to previously "Carrots Love Tomatoes" is even contradicted by some sources because I've read that tomatoes love carrots, but only if they are unharvested and allowed to flower, and that tomatoes actually stunt the carrots' growth.

I would love you to let me know what the garlic and peas worked together. That's the only thing I can think of on these contradictory reports is to do a little science fair project and see.

o

Hey, Jon - results so far: snow peas are up, about 1 1/2 inches high, but no sign of snap peas yet, and they were planted at the same time. I've not given up yet, though.

To be safe, I did another small planting in a different raised bed, but that was just recently, and those peas aren't up yet, either. I'll keep you posted!

o

I planted snow peas by garlic without realizing that some advised against it. The garlic was planted last October, the snow peas in January. The snow peas did great. The 6 garlic that were closest to the snow peas did not develop. I thought it was because the snow peas probably interfered with root development and shaded the garlic. In any case, the rest of my garlic looks great so next time I will keep them further apart from the peas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here