Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoes and snow peas

Posted by petunialover 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 19:48

I plan to create a new garden along the fence that separates our yard from our neighbor's. I thought if I sowed the peas in the ground when the snow melts they would have time to grow and set fruit before the tomatoes which I'll plant in front. I figure when the heat gets bad in late summer the peas will be shaded and cooled by the tall tomatoes and I'll have peas all summer. I know peas need lots of N and the tomatoes need the P&K, I use lots of bunny poo, and I'll have goat bedding to for mulch and more fertilizer. Will this work? I want to convert all my flower beds to veggie gardens at least where the areas get full sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoes and snow peas

I've never put peas with tomatoes. I've never seen them listed as companions before either.

I know peas are good with corn and beans. Interesting idea. I would like to know how it does for you. Post some results!

o

I am planning to put the tomatoes right in front of the peas this year also, and in fact trellis them on the same pea supports (brush). I'll hold the tomato starts out as long as possible, hopefully til second week in june. Here the peas are mostly done by july 1st. The rotting pea-roots should release some food for the toms at the right time.

I don't think your plan of extending the pea-season with tomato-shade will work. It'll be too much shade plus the tomato roots will be sucking what life is left out of the pea-plants.

o

I don't think your plan of extending the pea-season with tomato-shade will work. It'll be too much shade plus the tomato roots will be sucking what life is left out of the pea-plants.

Second.

However, at least here in S. Oregon, the you can seed snow-peas in late fall / early winter, they can take the worst of what mother nature throws at them, especially if they're protected to one side by a fence. Then around late March / early April, while we still have a few weeks before the last frost date, people usually till the pea plants into the ground, which both adds organic matter in and also by killing the plants, releases the nitrogen that have been fixed onto their root nodes for the past 3 months, putting food in for Tomatoes, Peppers, Corn or anything else you want to plant there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here