Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Blueberry companions

Posted by RyanK817 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 22:06

I planted a row of blueberry bushes in my renovated flower bed earlier this winter, and I'm trying to get a good companion to go around them. The pH of the bed is 5.5 and I'm taking steps to get it even lower, and the soil was originally fairly heavy Georgia clay that I amended with tons of compost and organic material. I want a very low growing plant that can be a living mulch and maybe even attract more bees, but can also thrive in that low pH and not be a lot of competition for the blueberries. I'm thinking sweet alyssum might do the trick, but I have no experience with it. Anyone think these would go together? Anyone know or have experience with other blueberry companions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Blueberry companions

I have two blueberry bushes here in socal that are very happy with salvia coccineas...the scarlet & pink/white varieties. They are a good living mulch & if you yank em a good compost green.

o
RE: Good Blueberry companions

Blueberries with pines (e.g. mugo pine). They both like acidic soil and falling needles for pines make soil more acid for benefit of both plants. Plus they have different root system - blueberries roots more shallow and pine grows deeper so they don't disturb each other.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here