Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahakiwi

Companion Plants for Itea Virginica 'Little Henry'

bahakiwi
16 years ago

I am starting a small full-sun garden beneath my window. My first plant of choice is Itea Virginica 'Little Henry' for it's fragrance and size but I am finding it difficult to find companion plants. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My only restriction would be size (3' max) because I do not want to block our view. Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• DYH
    16 years ago

I have 9 'Little Henry' shrubs mixed in my garden. I don't have any photos of it in bloom because we had a frost in mid-April last year that killed the buds.

If the ground is moist, there are some interesting perennials to use such as amsonia hubrechtii and the sedge, carex testacea. The three provide a nice fall foliage color combo with the itea turning red, the amsonia yellow and the sedge orange. However, that's not a flowering group if you want blooms. The amsonia has tiny little blue flowers in spring. If you want more blooms in moist soil, daylilies (deer will eat), canna, Japanese or Siberian iris, or bee balm will work.

Little Henry blooms in late spring here (zone 7), so I consider it a nice green backdrop during the summer. Which gives a lot of possibilities with perennials. What colors do you like?

Since Little Henry has small oval leaves, I would look for a frilly and a spikey plant to use to compliment.

I can only speak to zone 7 plants, so check to see if these work in your zone:

If you like blue/purple, nepeta 'Walker's Low' blooms from spring until frost. The flowers are on soft spikes. Bees love it. It can be divided easily in the spring for more plants. It's a nice tall edging plant, too. I cut it back in fall or early spring and then cut it again after the first bloom to get more blooms. I use Black & Decker cordless HedgeHog trimmer to make it easy.

In this photo, nepeta 'Six Hills Giant' (taller than Walkers Low) is behind Spanish Lavender.
    {{gwi:588357}}

In this photo, I have purple sage (foliage) and aster frikartii 'Monch'. Again, these are for dry soil. They also work well with the lavender, nepeta and Little Henry.

{{gwi:588358}}

I hope this helps.
    Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardening blog

• sage_lover
    15 years ago

I like wonbyherwits choice of amsonia, it has a nice yellow fall color and nice texture. There are some mums which combine nicely for a nice fall combo. ( If you ever need a taller companion, Fothergillia is an excellent choice at about 4-5 feet.) Purple dome aster is nice also.

• DYH
    15 years ago

My amsonia is in bloom. The flowers are small, but I love the airy foliage that turns bright in the fall.
    {{gwi:588359}}

Here's of my Itea just starting to bloom:
    {{gwi:260209}}

Miscanthus Little Zebra is one of my favorite ornamentals for a less than 3' ornamental grass:
    {{gwi:588360}}

Siberian and Japanese Iris also work with Little Henry. I have these all along my garden paths in the moist areas near the itea.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardening blog

• joett
    15 years ago

Hello, my Henry has started to lose leaves now in mid August. Leaves are curled up, dry and dropping now. Normally they dropped in October and have never shiveled and curled in the past.