Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion shrubs with roses

Posted by barb100 UK (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 8:44

My border is 27 feet long and 7 1/2 feet wide. A path runs down its length and a raised patio and my house borders its back. I have planted six David Austin shrub roses, spaced out, and am looking for shrubs which will look good with them. At the moment we have a variety of herbaceous perennials, but my problem is a family of wild rabbits, who I have no intention of killing, and who love to eat any new shoots coming through. They have been doing this for years, and I am finally fed up! Any suggestions for good rabbit-proof shrubs which will look good with the established roses? The roses are Lichfield Angel (apricot/white), Graham Thomas (yellow), Pat Austin (copper), England's Rose (pale pink)and Brother Cadfael (pink)and as a climber, Abraham Darby (apricot). Many thanks for any help you can give. I live in southern England, and my climate is temperate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companion shrubs with roses

Lavenders.

o

I would like to see Lichfield Angel photo, it is hard to find anything other than the official photograpy, and some experience with growing this cultivar or comparison with similar cultivars.

o

yep, lavender or nepeta. I have lavender with mine, but I have nepeta everywhere to defend my garden from bunnies and deer.

Cameron (I have a photo of my roses and lavender on my lavender blog in July --link from My Page).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here