Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
very newbie question

Posted by trant z6 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 3, 04 at 10:57

I am a rather unexperienced gardener and totally ignorant about companion planting, so this question may sound pretty stupid but please bare with me...

I see alot of advice on planting companions right next to your veggies, like basil next to tomatoes, for example. but then there's so much emphasis on weeding your garden ebcause weed will compete with your veggies and steal nutrients... So my question is, why are companion plants ok right enxt to your veggies? Won't they too compete with nutrients?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: very newbie question

Yes, but...no. It depends. There are particular reasons to combine particular plants, and an herb such as basil growing next to a fruiter like tomatoes doesn't use the same minerals in great quantities.

That's one reason to interplant, but there are others, such as planting something as a pest repellant or trap. Naturtiums, for example, are loved by aphids, so the aphids will go to nasturtiums planted near other plants, and protect them. If all goes well, ladybug larvae will come in to feast on the hordes of aphids. Quite a sight to see!

There's a great book called "Carrots Love Tomatoes" that goes into this in great detail, specifically naming which plants to plant with which others, and why.

o
RE: very newbie question

More reasons: weeds grow fast and multiply rapidly. They can intrude on seedling vegies and if tall, block sunlight. Best to keep them under control! Plus you learn about your soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here