Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses around the corner from tomatoes?

Posted by courey z5 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 12:31

Him, my name is Courey, and I'm a space packer.

;)

I have about 10 tomato plants that need to go in the front of my porch so I can stake them there without worry. I grew them there last year and they did great. The dilema enters the equation with the new Climbing Peace I just bought. The only place it'll get adequate sun and support once I hang tressis is around the corner from the tomatoes up front. The base of the two plants would be about 2 feet away from each other. Apart from looking somewhat eclectic, are the rose and the tomato going to fight for nutrients?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses around the corner from tomatoes?

I'm no expert but the first year I gardened, when I knew practically nothing, I put a tomato plant on either side of a rose. Not a climber, but I don't know if it matters. The roses did fine, the tomatoes were delicious, and I enjoy being eclectic! The rose is still there and where the tomatoes were are now a society garlic and a Mexican Mint Marigold, which means I have to find another spot for this year's tomatoes. And of course, I won't hesitate to put them near my roses. I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say also. Good luck!

o

Thanks for the response! I had to go ahead and plant that climber this past weekend, it was starting to look droopy sitting in its bucket. :p Hoping for the best... it's encouraging to hear that you've had success with that scenario in the past!

o

Yes, I certainly did! And, I've never understood why it has to be a "vegetable" garden or a "flower" garden. Mine's just a garden. Roses and garlic and herbs, oh my! Do let me know how your tomatoes and their thorny neighbors do!

o

lol... my garden is the exact same way; a lil' fruit here, some herbs mixed in, veggies of course... and the flowers poking out wherever they can find the space!

o

I thought I would share what I found out. I borrowed the Carrots Loves Tomatoes book and read that in fact tomatoes and roses do make good companions; it is said in the book that tomato will protect roses from black spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here